4 Day Old Chicks - Foamy Diarrhea

Sassafras13

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2024
Chicken Gurus, I need some help. I am a newbie chicken owner and need some sage wisdom!

I have 8 baby chicks that I received in the mail on Wednesday. The majority seem healthy and doing fine but I’ve got at least 3 who have repeatedly had foamy yellow/orange diarrhea. Everyone is eating/drinking they just have the runs (2 of the 3 have had pasty butt which I cleaned up last night). What do I need to do to treat the diarrhea? I have Chick Boost in their water, a pinch of ACV (added last night to help with the pasty butt) and I clean their brooder daily. Their brooder is indoors with a heat lamp. Ive read that they could be too hot so I moved up their lamp 1.5 inches.

Is it just stress from their travels? An illness?

Attachments

• IMG_6926.jpeg
    IMG_6926.jpeg
    434.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6927.jpeg
    IMG_6927.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 7
How are they acting?Can you place a thermometer on the floor under the heat lamp? They need a cooler spot away from the lamp, and the warmest spot should be about 90 degrees, decreasing by 5 each week. Are they indoors or outdoors?

Remove the ACV from water. Did they get Grogel or other electrolytes during transport? Electrolytes for more than a couple of days might give some diarrhea but baby chicks can have some loose poops.

How are they acting?Can you place a thermometer on the floor under the heat lamp? They need a cooler spot away from the lamp, and the warmest spot should be about 90 degrees, decreasing by 5 each week. Are they indoors or outdoors?

Remove the ACV from water. Did they get Grogel or other electrolytes during transport? Electrolytes for more than a couple of days might give some diarrhea but baby chicks can have some loose poops.
They are indoors. The room is between 68 degrees that they stay in. They did not get Grogel or anything during transport.

I’ll remove the ACV and Chick Boost from their water to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom