Foamy eye maybe mycoplasma ?

Ayu

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Western Washington
Last night when I was putting my chickens to bed I noticed The Dean ( yep that's her name ) some white stuff by one of her eyes and it was foamy I went to get a paper towel and I cleaned it off and everyone went to bed later last night I started looming into it and saw it might be mycoplasma and it freaked me out so I went out and got her and put her in quarantine. Today it looks not as much as yesterday and in a bit I'm going to go rinse it out with saline solution I also put her on prebiotic stuff in there water along with everyone else. There was two other chickens in that coop with her while everyone elwas in the other two coops so I keep the two intbe run all day do they wouldn't mingle with the others . Everyone else looks good and don't have any of the Faomy eye or any kind of respiratory things The Dean only has the foamy in one eye and she's very alert and not happy to be in quarantine. What's your guys opinions? Maybe just dirt in the eye or maybe she got pecked there ? Thanks for any advice !

Attachments

• 20240316_172148.jpg
    20240316_172148.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240316_172130.jpg
    20240316_172130.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 8
Aside from Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), other causes of a foamy eye could be ammonia fumes from soiled bedding and/or poor ventilation, there could be dust or debris in her eye. You can liberally flush her eye to remove debris with saline solution and gently pat dry. An injury could be a cause, Terramycin eye ointment would be needed in this instance if it were due to an injury.

Aside from Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), other causes of a foamy eye could be ammonia fumes from soiled bedding and/or poor ventilation, there could be dust or debris in her eye. You can liberally flush her eye to remove debris with saline solution and gently pat dry. An injury could be a cause, Terramycin eye ointment would be needed in this instance if it were due to an injury.
I really hope it's not mycoplasma. I keep things pretty clean in all my coops and spot clean them daily , when I flushed her eye I didn't notice any wounds and she didn't mind it I did notice a very small little bald patch on the top of her head and that's probably from one of the other girls picking on her so maybe she got it close to her eye

Have you brought in any new birds to your flock? Here's an excellent link for you to read about MG and MS, how easy it can be for mycoplasma diseases be introduced into a flock, even without introducing an infected bird.
https://ccmedia.fdacs.gov/content/download/77376/file/MyMycoplasma-Brochure.pdfi

I haven't in a few years . That's was a good read thanks . Today wasn't as much but I let her out for a little bit and she ran over to my chicken area and really wanted back in with everyone I did catch her and just from that there was more foamy stuff on that eye but it kinda went away when I put her back in the hospital area. I didn't notice anything else outta the ordinary her other eye is fine and no breathing problems

Back
Top Bottom