Coccidiosis?

Vixen212

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
I have six 10 week old chicks and one is possibly showing signs of coccidiosis but would like other opinions. The pullet in question usually is a bit stand offish- just her personality. Two days ago I noticed she seemed a little "off" but I couldn't quite place it. I also thought I noticed a bit of bloody poo but couldn't really tell if that's what it was since we have poke berries and such that turns their poo purple/red colored sometimes. Yesterday, I definitely saw some bloody stool in the chick pen and the one pullet didn't really want to eat or drink. I'm not sure who is having bloody poo though and it's not watery or diarrhea. Just looks normal except with blood in it. I added a bit of apple cider vinegar to everyone's water (we do this every so often for all our outside animals) and she seemed to perk up after drinking some and went back to eating and playing- just still not 100% normal. This morning her wings are droopy and she has ruffled feathers. Two of the other chicks are also seeming "off" like she was a couple days ago. Do you think this is coccidiosis? Should I start corid for them and go ahead and treat all the chicks? Do I need to worry about treating the entire flock since they all free range together during the day? Thanks y'all

Remove the ACV. It can irritate the gut. Get Corid and start treating them for possible coccidiosis. There is no risk to treating them. Dosage is 10 ml or 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water, mixed fresh daily. For the sick or weak birds in addition, give them 1/2 ml of undiluted Corid now and once a day. Give them the treated water or dip their beaks often if they are not drinking. Post any pictures of questionable poops.

Back
Top Bottom