5wk Wellsummer chick puffed up lethargic

trippinmoose

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
My 5week old Welsummer chick has been puffed up for 3 days now. She just sits still, puffed up in the sun and barely walks around. I started her on Corid yesterday and dipped her beak to make sure she drank enough but no improvement today. She ate/drank out of my hand but isn’t going out of her way to feed herself. I haven’t seen her poop but there’s no diarrhea or blood in any of the stool in our coop/run.

She has a sister her age and her sister is fully feathered. She still has some down feathers on her neck.

No physical signs of injury, infection or mites/lice. Her feet feathers and face all look normal.

I use all purpose sand as their run bedding a their coop has pine shavings. None of the other birds are acting any different.

Oh sorry that's concerning. What is she eating? What are your temps like? If you are not seeing results with the Corid then toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic are the next medications recommended, Corid is effective most of the time.

Oh sorry that's concerning. What is she eating? What are your temps like? If you are not seeing results with the Corid then toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic are the next medications recommended, Corid is effective most of the time.
70 during the day and 50 at night but they have a brooder plate in their coop. My other 5 week hens don’t use it. She’s on a 50% starter feed and 50% scratch and peck grower feed. We are weening them off their old feed as she’s almost 6 weeks and some of our girls are 8 weeks. We feed them meal worms and some greens as snacks. Thanks for the recommendation. Can those meds be used alongside Corid? Or should I wait and see how she is tomorrow and then switch medication? She’s not worse today just the same.

My 5week old Welsummer chick has been puffed up for 3 days now. She just sits still, puffed up in the sun and barely walks around. I started her on Corid yesterday and dipped her beak to make sure she drank enough but no improvement today. She ate/drank out of my hand but isn’t going out of her way to feed herself. I haven’t seen her poop but there’s no diarrhea or blood in any of the stool in our coop/run.

She has a sister her age and her sister is fully feathered. She still has some down feathers on her neck.

No physical signs of injury, infection or mites/lice. Her feet feathers and face all look normal.

I use all purpose sand as their run bedding a their coop has pine shavings. None of the other birds are acting any different.
UPDATE** Our chick is doing better but new symptoms arose. She has more energy and was eating really well yesterday. But she is non stop chirping. Unless she is being held or fed she is chirping. Biggest issue is that yesterday she didn’t poop. Her crop is swollen and did not go down over night. She’s been drinking water but I’m worried that the back up might kill her.

Any suggestions?? She’s on day 3 of her Corid drench.

It is good that she is eating. Hard to know if it is coccidiosis or something wrong in her body. Coccidiosis may slow the crop and digestion, and can cause pain. But she should be passing droppings. Is she cold?

It is good that she is eating. Hard to know if it is coccidiosis or something wrong in her body. Coccidiosis may slow the crop and digestion, and can cause pain. But she should be passing droppings. Is she cold?
It’s almost 80 degrees where I live so I’d be shocked if she was cold. Going to give her a few drops of Corid again today. Not sure what else to try to get her to poop. She’s less interested in food this morning and I’m assuming it’s because she’s backed up.

Try giving her some coconut oil, chilled slightly and cut into small pieces to peck at. Olive oil would do the same, but give it in a little egg or food. Those will lubricate and help her to poop. If you have a QTip, you can also lubricate her vent opening with a little oil or vaseline.

Back
Top Bottom