Baby chick with wobbly head?

LindseyDMD

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
Hi y'all!

So I recently purchased some chicks from a local farm, and I noticed one seemed a little bit different when she was handed to me. I took it with a grain of salt and brought her home. She is eating and drinking well and is getting along with the other 4. Temperature in brooder looks good, no one is huddled together. However, I noticed that her head is constantly moving like a wobble. Does anyone know what this could be? She is about 5-days old. She is on the starter food given to me by the breeder, they have sugar water, and again the temp looks good. I have been keeping an eye on the thermometer. Please help! I don't want to lose her!

Welcome to BYC.

What temp is your thermometer reading?
Can you get your hands on some Nutri Drench poultry vitamins?

Thank you!

Temp is around 92 right now. Should I increase it? I moved the light away earlier because 2 of the chicks are probably about 2 weeks, so I didn't want them to get too hot. As for the Nutri Drench, I will be able to get some tomorrow; will that be too late? I am curious if maybe it is something neurological? It was pretty bad when she was drinking, but I keep checking on her and it's not quite as bad as it was. I picked her up to check for mites or anything of the sort and she wasn't wobbly, but her head seemed to favor slipping to one side and I am still seeing this happening as she is laying down.

That is too hot.
Move the light higher...and make sure that it is only in one spot/side of the brooder.
So they can get away from the heat.
Get it to about 85.

Back
Top Bottom