Baby chick won't eat

riversedgefarms

Chirping
Dec 18, 2016
We just received day old chicks on Tuesday. We have already had one pass away and we have one who will drink water when she wants but won't eat. She is spry at times but likes to sleep a lot. When we try and force her to drink water if she doesn't want it she will fight back. We are unsure of what to do as we do not want her to pass away. We have also separated her from the others for now as she is much smaller than the rest of them and was getting trampled when they were all together.

Sometimes force feeding/drinking with a tiny dropper is necessary. However I would advise you to consult other possibilities before resorting to this. Also, although not eating and only drinking small amounts is definitely not a good thing, it could be stress related if the chicks were shipped to you.

Don't force her to drink water especially if she does drink some on her own volition, it is easy to get it down her wi dpipe and cause more trouble. Put a good amount of sugar in her drinking water so she will get some energy that way. Do you have Save-a-chick or a similar vitamin, mineral, electrolyte mix - you can add that to the water, I would still add a bit more sugar if you do, for the calories. Better yet put a drop of NutriDrench on the side of her beak to get her to take it. That way she doesn't even have to be drinking to get something good into her.
Beyond that there's little you can do. Keep her warm, with the option to move to a cool zone, keep offering feed - you can try tiny bits of raisins, as a treat. If she is smaller than the others it doesn't look too good for her, but you might be lucky!

Don't force her to drink water especially if she does drink some on her own volition, it is easy to get it down her wi dpipe and cause more trouble. Put a good amount of sugar in her drinking water so she will get some energy that way. Do you have Save-a-chick or a similar vitamin, mineral, electrolyte mix - you can add that to the water, I would still add a bit more sugar if you do, for the calories. Better yet put a drop of NutriDrench on the side of her beak to get her to take it. That way she doesn't even have to be drinking to get something good into her.
Beyond that there's little you can do. Keep her warm, with the option to move to a cool zone, keep offering feed - you can try tiny bits of raisins, as a treat. If she is smaller than the others it doesn't look too good for her, but you might be lucky!

I have never used or heard of NutriDrench. What is that? We have medicated chick feed right now so that is what she has been eating. We put some pieces into water so it turned mushy and she seemed to drink that water. If I add sugar do I just use regular white sugar? Also will she be more willing to drink it?
I apologize I used the wrong wording. We don't force her to drink but we move the water so it is in front of her beak for easier access and if she doesn't want it she moves her head.
She does move if she gets to hot. I have put a face cloth in with her so she likes to curl up on that. I figured that would be better to retain heat. She has been chirping so is that still a good sign? The one that died didn't at all

Do you have another chicken to put in the pen to teach them. I've even given them to a broody hen and she will show them the ropes. I sometimes put chickens in with my baby ostriches that won't eat or drink so they learn. It works for me!

Just use white sugar. It's just about getting energy into her.
Ask at your best feedbstore, they might have the Nutri Drench. If not get it from amazon - it might be too late for this chick but it is great to have on hand.
I would not put the chick with a hen or any other animal, she seems too weak and the others might bot be friendly to her especially if she is unwell.
Good luck!

I am having a similar problem. I received 7 baby chicks today. Six chicks are drinking and eating well. The smallest chick is not eating or drinking no matter what I do. I have started them on the sugar water from the get go. What to do?

Back
Top Bottom