1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chicken dance??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lorain's fids, Jul 13, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    So my girls are 2 weeks old, and yesterday it looked like they were doing some sort of chicken dance--they are in a large dog crate and I had just finished cleaning the crate out--I put newspaper down and papertowels over it, well , there was a section of newspaper showing and all the girls ran over to it and started shuffling their feet--I swear it looked like some sort of square dance done chicken style--LOL!! What exactly were they doing?

Lorain

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    They were prob just checking out the new digs! They r curious as a cat! It is funny to put new things in their environment and watch how they react. Try putting a small tin pie plate or meatloaf pan. Mine walked around it. Pecked it and ran away cuz of the noise. Then pecked again. One got brave and jumped up on it! Very funny.

3. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Quote:We sometimes put food on a pie pan (like yogurt etc.) and when it is all gone it is hilarious because sometimes they will accidentaly fall into it and [​IMG] thenn they will scare themselves so bad... [​IMG] very funny... Its probably just one of those things that you have to be there...

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    lorain's fids :

So my girls are 2 weeks old, and yesterday it looked like they were doing some sort of chicken dance--they are in a large dog crate and I had just finished cleaning the crate out--I put newspaper down and papertowels over it, well , there was a section of newspaper showing and all the girls ran over to it and started shuffling their feet--I swear it looked like some sort of square dance done chicken style--LOL!! What exactly were they doing?

Lorain

The shuffling dance was probably them scratching, the same way chickens scratch in the dirt in order to look for bugs and seeds. My babies (now 4 weeks old) do that every time they get into their newly cleaned brooder. I've been putting them in a larger "play pen" during the day for the past few weeks so they get a freshly cleaned brooder every night. I put a fresh cookie tray of dirt/gravel in the play yard every morning and they always go over and kick and scratch around in it. Yesterday I decided I'd had enough of the paper towels, which I'd used in the brooder and replaced almost every day for four weeks and put in about an inch of pine shavings.

I had to call the kids in to watch the crazy chick antics when I put them in for the night. They were scratching in the shavings, kicking them everywhere (including the newly changed water) lying down and doing these ridiculous dirt-bath (I guess) motions where they thrash around and flap their wings...a highly entertaining part of my day.

I really didn't know that chickens could be so much fun to observe. We had them when I was a kid and I just remember thinking they were stupid and smelly and that our rooster was rabid and dangerous.​

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    They were probably scratching in order to determine if the odd looking area was edible or contained anything edible. Our usually scratch and shuffle and peck anything that is new or "odd" looking within their reach. ...and if you think that's funny, just give them a pan of dry dirt and watch as they discover dust baths. Epically adorable and hilarious!

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    When I saw the title of this post I thought someone else had experienced what I call the chicken dance.
    It's what I do while trying to get through a gang of curious chickens if I'm bringing out some treats for them.
    I'm sure if anyone saw me high stepping and wobbling through the throng clustered around my ankles they would think,
    "There goes the crazy lady that dances with chickens."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by