Baby chicken not using one side.

potato12345

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
Recently, my dog has been picking on my baby chickens. I separated them, and the babies were doing fine. Some time later, I was checking on my baby chickens, and one was gone (no feathers everywhere, just gone without a trace). The other one was fluffed up and sleeping somewhere. The fluffed up sleeping one is what this thread is about. I still haven't found the other one.

Yesterday she wasn't eating or walking, but I found a way around that. She was also very fluffy. Then after some time, she was eating and drinking normally again. For some time she was walking normally. When I came back to check on her in the morning, she was even fluffier. What's strange is that now she isn't walking at all. She'll eat and drink when I put her next to her food, but otherwise she just sits down and does nothing.

I looked around in her feathers, and found no injurys. She is keeping her left eye closed, Her left leg scrunched, and her left wing is droopy. I don't know what is wrong with her. Is she doing to die? Can I save her?

Recently, my dog has been picking on my baby chickens. I separated them, and the babies were doing fine. Some time later, I was checking on my baby chickens, and one was gone (no feathers everywhere, just gone without a trace). The other one was fluffed up and sleeping somewhere. The fluffed up sleeping one is what this thread is about. I still haven't found the other one.

Yesterday she wasn't eating or walking, but I found a way around that. She was also very fluffy. Then after some time, she was eating and drinking normally again. For some time she was walking normally. When I came back to check on her in the morning, she was even fluffier. What's strange is that now she isn't walking at all. She'll eat and drink when I put her next to her food, but otherwise she just sits down and does nothing.

I looked around in her feathers, and found no injurys. She is keeping her left eye closed, Her left leg scrunched, and her left wing is droopy. I don't know what is wrong with her. Is she doing to die? Can I save her?
Update, she is still eating and drinking, but she still isn't getting up. She'll occasionally crawl around, but she just drags herself along the floor. She is constantly falling asleep while eating. She is often panting. I'm keeping her warm, but not too warm because it's summer. I'm also frequently cleaning the poo away from her butt because she isn't cleaning herself.

Update, she is still eating and drinking, but she still isn't getting up. She'll occasionally crawl around, but she just drags herself along the floor. She is constantly falling asleep while eating. She is often panting. I'm keeping her warm, but not too warm because it's summer. I'm also frequently cleaning the poo away from her butt because she isn't cleaning herself.
Where are you located in the world?

What do you feed your chick?
Please post some photos of the chick, her poop and where she's being kept.

What you mean you are keeping her warm? Are you providing heat? What's the temperature where you are?

First thing is make sure her area is secure. Maybe add an extra barrier or something. Whatever got the first may be coming back and spending the night worrying about being killed would stress anyone out. Get some electrolyte mix for her water and maybe a medicated chick feed to help any kind of healing along. I had a chick with a huge open wound her first day out of the shell. She was lethargic and barely walked. But a few days with the electrolyte water and medicated feed got her all healed up and active.

Where are you located in the world?

What do you feed your chick?
Please post some photos of the chick, her poop and where she's being kept.

What you mean you are keeping her warm? Are you providing heat? What's the temperature where you are?
I'm in south east(ish) US. I feed it regular flock raiser chicken food, and occasional bugs I find (such as small moths and ants). I have a heating pad underneath her makeshift nest on low. Recently the temperature has been about 80-90⁰F. I don't have the heating pad on when it seems to warm in the house.

She's being kept in a bird cage with some hay. Since she hasn't even been standing up I haven't worried about the size of the cage. She has her food and water close to her so she can reach. When the food isn't next to her she doesn't get up for it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_223615338_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210612_223615338_HDR.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210612_223534423.jpg
    IMG_20210612_223534423.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210612_223504538.jpg
    IMG_20210612_223504538.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 16235590334714745095830794314526.jpg
    16235590334714745095830794314526.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 4
Recently the temperature has been about 80-90⁰F. I don't have the heating pad on when it seems to warm in the house.
Poor thing. I wonder if she boinked her head and is suffering trauma, especially since she's polish. Could stressed induced disease, but that would be really hard to know unless you lose her and have testing.

I would give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg, the egg helps with the uptake of E.
Work on hydrating her. She needs to be drinking - so hydration, then offer wet feed.

If she's unable to use her legs, then a sling can get her upright and she may stay a bit cleaner as well. Alternate between the sling and her laying down.

Poor thing. I wonder if she boinked her head and is suffering trauma, especially since she's polish. Could stressed induced disease, but that would be really hard to know unless you lose her and have testing.

I would give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg, the egg helps with the uptake of E.
Work on hydrating her. She needs to be drinking - so hydration, then offer wet feed.

If she's unable to use her legs, then a sling can get her upright and she may stay a bit cleaner as well. Alternate between the sling and her laying down.
I made the sling for her, and I'm working on getting the vitamins. Unfortunately I don't thinks shes going to make it. She's loosing a lot of weight, and one of her eyes had gone completely white. :(

I made the sling for her, and I'm working on getting the vitamins. Unfortunately I don't thinks shes going to make it. She's loosing a lot of weight, and one of her eyes had gone completely white. :(
I'm sorry to hear that.

Can you get a photo of her eye? I'm not sure what's going on there.
Have you noticed any discharge/mucous from her nostrils, sneezing, coughing - anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom