Baby chicks - 3 need help - UPDATE - STATUS REPORT

verlaj

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Micanopy, Florida
31 chicks arrived from Ideal today. 6 were DOA. 3 are in bad shape. (The rest either look great or pretty good.)

1) One chick, I think an "ameracauna," a big chick, is very weak.
2) one chick marked like a Columbian Wyandotte but with feathered legs (didn't order any feathered leg breeds) and one Partridge Rock - - seem fairly strong, but unbalanced. They lose control - roll on their backs, fall over backward, sometimes have a head tremor.

I separated them from the others, have them in a shoebox in a warm spot in the brooder and have been giving them drops of sugar water. I haven't seen them eat or drink on their own.

Any thoughts about what it might be? Any suggestions on what more I can do? Any hope for them?

Last edited:
They sound dehydrated, and would benefit from electrolytes, the sugar was a very good idea for now. You will probably have to teach them to drink when ready, by gently dipping their beaks in water and supervising them until they are ready.

When you think they might accept food, make it into a slurry with water and offer by dropper.

Poor babies sound like they were in transit too long.

Phone the supplier. It's heartbreaking, but I wish you every luck in bringing the others through this.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion. After posting, I switched from sugar water to Gatorade. I think there is some improvement.

Chicks were shipped 5/5, instead of 5/6 as planned. I had called the postal distribution center yesterday so I could pick them up there and spare them the extra hours in the box, but because of the 1 day early shipment, my call was too late - they didn't even look for them yesterday. Got them at about 6:30 a.m. today.

UPDATE - The EE that was weak is now dead.

The feathered leg chick is still alive, but still can't stand. Head curves back over and it falls; often ends up on its back. Can't eat or drink on its own. Same signs with the 1st Partridge Rock that was in ICCU, and now joined by a 2nd PR that was looking puny yesterday. And a tiny Columbian Wyandotte is weak - eating a little on its own, but it is really not eating enough or drinking on its own from what I see.

I have been giving liquids by syringe - drop by drop - and pulverized chick starter and made a slurry - giving that the same way. The chicks that can't maintain balance seem pretty strong, but not improving on the balance thing.

I read somewhere to give oral vitamins - but what and how much?

Any more suggestions?

The baby liquid vitamins. Poly Vi Sol or something similar, I know I spelled that wrong. I found it at Walmart in the vitamin section. Get the one WITHOUT Iron! Give a few drops onto the side of the beak, and it will swallow it. You still might lose them, as they are so fragile, but at least you tried.

Hugs hun!

Thinking of ya and ya chickie dees!

You might could try giving them a warm mash of their starter feed as well. If it doesn't help, it won't hurt them at all!

Mix a few tablespoons of starter feed, with a few tablespoons of milk. Mine love the soured milk or buttermilk the best, but any milk will do. I use equal parts of each (starter feed and milk) and make a crumble. What they haven't eaten in 30 minutes or so, I would throw out.

Please keep us updated!

Quote:
Do what she said and I would also add some to the water you are giving them. If you have any Vit. E gelcaps, I would cut open one of those and put some on their beaks, too. This helped with mine.

Good luck!
fl.gif

Okay - I just got back from our feed store with animal/poultry vitamins, but it needs to be diluted in water. You give the Poly-Vi-Sol straight ? A couple of drops?

I guess I am off to town - for Poly-Vi-Sol, Vitamin E, and buttermilk. Already have given drops of a slurry of the chick feed with water. By the way - a coffee grinder works well for pulverized the stuff almost to a powder.

Thanks for the help and sympathy!

Got the Poly Vi Sol and administered to the 3 in ICCU. Got Pedialyte too and gave a few drops of that to each. 2 of the 3 in ICCU are still pretty strong - just can't control their movements - can't stand, their heads arch backwards at times, and sometimes they kick and spin around. They usually end up coming to rest on their back or side. The 3rd in the ICCU is weaker - don't think she has a chance.

Haven't given any more slurry, but I got buttermilk. Trying to go slowly - not to overload the little buggers or stress them anymore than necessary.

The one tiny Columbian Wyandotte is eating a little and can move around. She is a bit unsteady on her feet, doesn't drink at the waterer, and is only eating a little of the chick starter. But that is encouraging. I really hope she makes it - she looks like a baby penguin with the wing tips sticking straight out to the sides!

Notified Ideal of the problems by email.

You are so nice to check in on me.

Back
Top Bottom