Baby chicks a couple days old pooping blood.

Dimondel

Songster
Sep 7, 2021
QLD, Australia
Purchased two babies yesterday and I woke up this morning and at least one of them is pooping blood. I’m going to try to treat them for cocci and put nutrients in their water, is there anything else I should do? What could be the reason for this?

Attachments

• 1EF97D4B-6B32-431E-851B-0BD52F781EF9.jpeg
    1EF97D4B-6B32-431E-851B-0BD52F781EF9.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 10
  • F6D12E67-8975-480D-AF83-4939220805C1.jpeg
    F6D12E67-8975-480D-AF83-4939220805C1.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 4
what are you feeding them? that's very bad. what do their vents look like, have you taken a look to see if its swollen etc or any other signs of stuff wrong?

Yikes. You are doing the right thing. Do you have the correct dosage? Make sure their only source of water is the dosed water and as mentioned above, no vitamins.

what are you feeding them? that's very bad. what do their vents look like, have you taken a look to see if its swollen etc or any other signs of stuff wrong?
I have ! I can’t see anything wrong with the vents, not any swelling that I can tell, and I’ve just been giving them chick starter from the feed store, which I’ve used for chicks for ages.

Yikes. You are doing the right thing. Do you have the correct dosage? Make sure their only source of water is the dosed water and as mentioned above, no vitamins.
I have their water in the smallest little dish because they’re tiny and would definitely drown if I made it any bigger, so I’ve had to guesstimate, as bad as it sound, and am using the smallest pinch of the stuff.

I have their water in the smallest little dish because they’re tiny and would definitely drown if I made it any bigger, so I’ve had to guesstimate, as bad as it sound, and am using the smallest pinch of the stuff.
Don't do that. You need the correct dosage per gallon of water, which is 2 tsp. So you can mix one tsp in half a gallon and give that to them each day (mix a new batch each day).

Back
Top Bottom