Baby Chicks all died in one hour

The bulb idea makes sense. It did just occur to us that this bulb was relatively new and was not bought at a farm store. It was bought at a hardware store. We had no idea that it could be toxic. That makes sense and we feel terrible. Good to know so it won't be repeated. Thank you so much!

You may want to try MHP (heating pad), there's a thread by Blooie (that's LONG) worth looking over. I tried it once and that's the way I raise chicks now. Just don't do what I did, over think the simplicity of it all :) Again sorry for you loss and raising animals is an everlasting learn curve.

Yep. Farm store still had a few from the same batch, so we picked up six more Rhode Island Reds
So far, so good, but it's only been about 6 hours.
We did get a smaller wattage, non-coated heat lamp-bulb.
Thanks for the help, all!

We were having trouble keeping their brooder at the right temp with 250. We had to raise it pretty high and even then it was too hot! We have had this 125 on all day today and it is keeping it right at the proper temp. Perfect!

You may want to try MHP (heating pad), there's a thread by Blooie (that's LONG) worth looking over. I tried it once and that's the way I raise chicks now. Just don't do what I did, over think the simplicity of it all :) Again sorry for you loss and raising animals is an everlasting learn curve.

If you don't want to use a heat lamp, you can also use a Brinsea Ecoglo. It comes in two sizes. When the chicks are small they can go under it like they would a mother hen and the plate raises as they grow. When they get bigger you can turn it on it's side.

If you don't want to use a heat lamp, you can also use a Brinsea Ecoglo.  It comes in two sizes.  When the chicks are small they can go under it like they would a mother hen and the plate raises as they grow.  When they get bigger you can turn it on it's side.

These heat plate brooders are great. For a cheaper alternative to the Brinsea, you could do the Premier1 version, which is what I use and love.

Back
Top Bottom