Baby chicks and a duck??

neckringer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Could I raise a baby duck with my chicks? Just curious how they would get along and what about feed?

They will be just fine together. We feed ours chick starter same as our chicks.
smile.png

I was told they were fine but wanted to run it by all my friends here at byc. Thanks, I went to TSC today and what do you know chicks and ducks. I am a addict and my name is neckringer, My wife thinks I have lost my mind. First she heard the radio I put in the coop for the chicks and chickens, now I have 5 more and a duck. I have modified my brooding area to seperate my 4 week old babies from Donald and the other five new chicks. I am not really crazy... am I?

Our ducks eat what our chickens do. They are just fine.
LOL, neckringer, you always start out with 2 or 3 chickens, then more chickens, then ducks, geese, quail, turkeys, pheasants, peafowl. You never know whats next and how many youll end up with.
big_smile.png

They are terrible enablers there at TSC. Ours had ducks and chicks too but I resisted the ducks. Neighbors would not understand that.

Hello, they can get along fine...
These two are Best Buddies! They follow each other everywhere!
9198_img_3708.jpg

They eat the same NON medicated chick starter and will eat layer crumbles when they are ready. I did worry early on that the duck would squish the chick, but they were fine. Ducks are much messier and I have them on a wire floor otherwise the chick would be filthy. Good Luck!

just make sure you give them unmedicated chickstarter, the medicated will kill ducks.

I have chicks and ducks, and I just put our 5 week old ducklings out in the henrun and house and they are lovin' it.

Good Luck, Kycklingmamma

Back
Top Bottom