baby chicks are going to visit outside today

tmmullis

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
I purchased my chicks on 4/30/2010, I've read that after 2 weeks they can start going outside as long as the temperature is above 70 degrees. Any advice before I let them out for their first time???

Thanks

Put them in a penned area, because if they get spooked, they can run really fast. Chasing chicks outdoors is not very fun after the first minute.

Understand that when they FIRST get outside, they will probably stand stock still for several minutes before a brave chick will move forward and/or start to peck at the ground.

DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNSUPERVISED, and if possible, keep them in a covered run or pen! Chicks can draw flying predators suprisingly quickly. You don't want to have a hawk you never knew lived around you swoop down and pick one off.

But enjoy the experience, because because watching them at play and doing chicken-y things is delightful. Just don't overdo it - they're little, they're babies, and they tire easily.

They were going to be outside in a cage where they will still be able to peck and scratch at the grass / yard! I'd be almost afraid to let them roam, they are really doing a good job flying around their cage that they are in now on the inside!

Quote:
All good advice.

We have a number of Red Tailed Hawks in the neighborhood that would love to have a young chick meal if they could.

Your chicks are pretty young to be outside, probably for no more than 15 minutes and you will have to have them in a total enclosure, i.e. one that does not permit them to hide or get under things that you can't get to and one that will keep them safe from predators including domestic cats and dogs.

My chicks are six and a half weeks old, they've not been outside at all yet.

i used the top cage part of a small rabit cage, it has a plastic botom that comes off. i just put it in the grass open the door and put the chicks in. when play time is up its easy to reach in and pick them up to go back inside

Back
Top Bottom