Baby chicks are not eating food unless its very wet

SyBom

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
My baby chicks (1 week old) are not eating food unless its very wet and full of water.

Since i don't have any close place to get starter feed i use oats with boiled egg and some bread crumbs but the chicks will not eat it unless i put some water on it, and the water dry quickly so i have to keep putting water every one hour.

Edit: i have 5 chicks and they look healthy

Are these your only chickens? Adult all flock feed (layer feed not appropriate for chicks) will work fine for babies as long as it's crumbles not pellets.

Your chicks should be getting a balanced feed. Oats don't have all that chicks need. Also, new baby chicks are not able to handle large pieces of food. That's why yours will only eat the wet stuff. It's been softened so they can make their tiny beaks work with it. It also helps to sprinkle dry crumbles on the floor of the brooder. New chicks instinctively look on the ground for stuff to eat, and it takes time for them to learn to use a feeder.

Are you in a place where there are no feed stores? What country?

Are these your only chickens? Adult all flock feed (layer feed not appropriate for chicks) will work fine for babies as long as it's crumbles not pellets.

Your chicks should be getting a balanced feed. Oats don't have all that chicks need. Also, new baby chicks are not able to handle large pieces of food. That's why yours will only eat the wet stuff. It's been softened so they can make their tiny beaks work with it. It also helps to sprinkle dry crumbles on the floor of the brooder. New chicks instinctively look on the ground for stuff to eat, and it takes time for them to learn to use a feeder.

Are you in a place where there are no feed stores? What country?

I live in a small town in Syria people here feed chicks whatever and hope they survive, I don't really like that so I've been trying to search for something good for the chicks and available.

I'll try breaking up there food into smaller pieces and continue on the search for the best feed i can find here.

Here's a recipe for homemade chicken feed. Use a blender to grind the ingredients into the proper size for baby chicks. Later, these can be ground more coarsely for adult chickens.

Simple Homemade Chicken Feed Recipe Formula
  • 30% Corn.
  • 30% Wheat.
  • 20% Peas.
  • 10% Oats.
  • 10% Fish Meal.
  • 2% Poultry Nutri–Balancer (where to buy)
  • Free Choice Kelp (where to buy kelp)
  • Free Choice Aragonite.

https://www.amazon.com/Fertrell-Poultry-Nutri-Balancer/dp/B07GSH6C2J

Mix scrambled egg, very very lightly cooked, with the feed you want them to accept.
Reduced the amount of egg and increase the other food.
Add in small bits of ground egg shell.
Sometimes I have been limited to only ground corn - hardly a balanced diet - so I mixed very wet scrambled egg.

Back
Top Bottom