Baby chicks & cats

Sandy Berry

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
Hello! Although I've had chickens for a while now, I'm new to the baby chicks scene. I have chicks that are now around 2 months old. I also have cats that run around in the big chickens fenced yard. My question is, at what age can I let my baby chicks be exposed to my cats without putting their safety at risk?

It depends on your cats. My cats know better than the bother 'baby peeps' but they aren't known for catching birds. Instincts are a powerful motivator but at 8 weeks, I'd consider them on the large side for cats to bother with.
Thank you for your input! I keep looking at them, thinking that they are a little big for the cats, but even though most of my cats are older (& couldn't care less about catching anything), I do have a couple of younger ones that do catch an occasional bird. I'm so anxious to let them out to explore their new world, but at the same time I would be heartbroken if my poor judgement brought harm to them.

I have cats and chicks.
My cat, Boo will kill wild birds but she has never bothered a chick.
Screenshot_20220811-130342_Photos.jpg

This is Boo and some 7 to 8 week olds.
I generally let a hen raise my chicks. Most domestic cats won't bother a broody.
However, on the occasions, that I've raised my own, I've waited until they are six weeks to let them out with the big flock. I'm raising a few bantams now, and I may wait a little longer before releasing them.

I have cats and chicks.
View attachment 3219532
I generally let a hen raise my chicks. Most domestic cats won't bother a broody.
However, on the occasions, that I've raised my own, I've waited until they are six weeks to let them out with the big flock. I'm raising a few bantams now, and I may wait a little longer before releasing them.
Thank you for your response!! Seeing your photo is very encouraging! My chicks are about that size, maybe just a hair bigger. I am leaning towards letting mine out later today, maybe about an hour before everybody's bedtime. That way I can stay out with them to keep an eye out.

Thank you for your response!! Seeing your photo is very encouraging! My chicks are about that size, maybe just a hair bigger. I am leaning towards letting mine out later today, maybe about an hour before everybody's bedtime. That way I can stay out with them to keep an eye out.
I have cats and chicks.
View attachment 3219532
By the way, what happened to the feathers on the one chick's neck?

a
I have cats and chicks.
View attachment 3219532
awwe it looks just like my cat Panda. She does the same and never bothers chicks

Attachments

• 100_3239 (2).JPG
    100_3239 (2).JPG
    933.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom