Baby chicks have lost all feathers on throat area.

Too young for gape worm.. It's also kind of rare.

Would you be willing to try medicated chick feed? The pasting up/ sticking fermented feed is causing an irritation. Are they getting the proper amount of nutrients with the fermented feed? I'm wondering if they are hungry. Is there feed and water in front of them at all times or do you feed certain times of day?

Are you only feeding grains?

Last edited:
I hadn't wanted to feed medication to healthy chicks but if it will help I'll try whatever. The fermented feed that I'm using is almost always available to them. Every once in a while, they eat it all and I don't notice for a bit. But for the most part 90% of their day they have food always available. I only did the fermented feed because its suppose to be healthier. It is just chick starter dry feed with water and a buttermilk starter. They always have water too.
I do have 9 EE that are 5 weeks old that I put in a pen outside during the day to give them a chance to be chickens in the dirt and leaves and pine shavings, to scratch and eat bugs. They have food all the time available too. At night they all share the inside brooder cage of a large dog kennel.
So the little ones are the ones exhibiting the feather loss and shaking if heads. The bigger birds are looking great.

Forget the medicated. It's just a precaution for disease early in their life.

I think it's the fermented food. Give just dry for a while and see if the irritation goes away. I think it's just a skin irritation to the wetness of the feed on their skin. Buttermilk is a pretty good acid. That's why I soak my fried chicken in buttermilk before frying.

Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom