baby chicks & hens

animal nut

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
S. E Ohio
How long do I need to keep my baby chicks(that I purchased) away from my existing flock of hens?

I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 household birds. Now 15 chicks and 5 hens

Keep them seperated until they are about the same size as the existing flock. That way, they can defend themselves.

If babies are just thrown in with an existing flock, they most likely will be injured or killed by the flock.

If the flock is also chicks about the same age, then you can try it. How old are existing flock members?

Last edited:
I've introduced new chicks into my flock without incident after they reach 10 weeks of age. I do have a portion of my henhouse segregated so that I can move the chicks from the brooder into the house when they are 4-6 weeks of age. They stay in this fenced off section until they are at least 10 weeks, then I let them loose into the flock. I've done this twice without any of the other hens or roosters bothering the new ones. I've discovered that the new ones will stay separate from the flock until they mature to around 4 months of age, then will fully integrate into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom