baby chicks in winter

my hens are very friendly. I go take them out by hand 2 x's a day to eat & drink while I guard the eggs against others. they never peck at me or growl. they will let me move the whole nest. I put it in a cardboard box with hay inside of their own nesting boxes. So when time to move I can just pull the whole cardboard box out to move them. but should I move them before they hatch or after? Like will the babies stay under the mom for warmth? We live in Anchorage, AK. And are they to be blocked off so other hens won't get in or so the broody hens won't leave?

okay. I saw your reply of when to move. thank you so much.
The babies will stay under mom but it’s to protect the babies from the other hens and like I said to keep them from falling out or get out and away from the momma which will cause her to leave the eggs and being that you are in Alaska keep the babies in the heated garage until fully feather

so a few contradictory replies on when to move. Is it kinda my choice? I did take them out a couple times during this process and they went to the wrong nesting box. I took them out & put them with their eggs & blocked it off with my hands until they settled in & it was fine. I also really need to know if the mamas & their babies can be kept together or separate. they will be 5 days-ish apart. the hens are the top 3 of the pecking order.

The babies will stay under mom but it’s to protect the babies from the other hens and like I said to keep them from falling out or get out and away from the momma which will cause her to leave the eggs and being that you are in Alaska keep the babies in the heated garage until fully feather
thank you

No wait till they hatch if u move them now the hen may reject the eggs wait 2 days after the hatch date and move them like I said block the entrance of the nest the hens are in the day before they are due to hatch to keep any babies from falling out and the hen getting off the nest to keep those babies warm
Also, if I block off mama the day before they hatch do I put water & food in for her??

Each hen with her babies should be kept separated from other chickens if possible for their protection. The advice you received was to wait until all the eggs under a hen have hatched before you move them, to be sure she doesn't reject the unhatched ones.
thank you so much all for your advise. Wish me luck. BTW this ia my 1st post & I found it easy & very helpful.

I moved my broody to our garage about a week before the egg (only one hatched) hatched.
I use white plastic tubs for nest boxes and I just moved her, the egg and tub to a rabbit hutch in the garage. I did it at night when she was calm.
She was fine.
She had water and chick starter available.
I think you should follow the other posters advice and leave them be until after the eggs hatch though.
My baby chick is 4 weeks now and doing great.
They’re still in the garage though because I don’t feel comfortable putting them outside until baby is fully feathered in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom