baby chicks in winter

I moved my broody to our garage about a week before the egg (only one hatched) hatched.
I use white plastic tubs for nest boxes and I just moved her, the egg and tub to a rabbit hutch in the garage. I did it at night when she was calm.
She was fine.
She had water and chick starter available.
I think you should follow the other posters advice and leave them be until after the eggs hatch though.
My baby chick is 4 weeks now and doing great.
They’re still in the garage though because I don’t feel comfortable putting them outside until baby is fully feathered in a couple of weeks.
how many eggs did you start with that only one hatched out of??

Please reply: I still need to know if I block off my hen on her eggs for 3 days :do I put water & food in the box?: I know my hen wont mind me taking her out of her box even after the chicks are hatching to let her out to eat & drink while I watch the eggs then put her back in though......thoughts on either way please. (remember when answering, my 2 hens are very friendly to me & I've been going out & doing this procedure of taking them out & watching their eggs the whole time)

Please reply: I still need to know if I block off my hen on her eggs for 3 days :do I put water & food in the box?: I know my hen wont mind me taking her out of her box even after the chicks are hatching to let her out to eat & drink while I watch the eggs then put her back in though......thoughts on either way please. (remember when answering, my 2 hens are very friendly to me & I've been going out & doing this procedure of taking them out & watching their eggs the whole time)
sorry I just saw the post of what to do, thank you

Yes, if mama is taking care of the babies, they will go under her for warmth when they need to. If you can put her in a brooder cage away from other chickens for the first few days, that will help protect them all from the rest of the flock. Every chicken is different though - some will care for babies for months, others will send them on their way after a few weeks.
we do not have a brooder cage, I mean I don't really know what that is. I do have an Ecoglow heat lamp/brooder. should I put that in there as well so if the babies need it?? or will just the mom be okay ...there are 10 chicks for the one mom

raised chicks in spring & fall, but now it's winter. I had 2 broody hens so I collected eggs & put them under the hens. Don't worry I put them under on the same day, not 3 a day. 1 clutch should be pipped on Sat & the other on the 10th. I will move mamas out of the unheated barn & coop area when they pip out...OR SHOULD I MOVE THEM OUT THE DAY BEFORE THEY PIP THROUGH? They are being moved to our heated garage with the mamas & I have one heat plate brooder....
DO I NEED TO USE THE HEAT PLATE BROODER IF THE CHICKS ARE IN WITH THE MAMAS?
SHOULD I KEEP THE MAMAS IN WITH THE CHICKS PAST 8 WEEKS?
WHEN CAN THE CHICKS MOVE OUT TO THE UNHEATED BARN?

When we had the other chicks in the fall we kept them in the barn in a small quarantine with a chicken wire door & a lot of hay. Then we let them out to run around the barn with the door shut, then in & outside periodically now we just leave the barn door open.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 1546559775301-1017091479.jpg
    1546559775301-1017091479.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 4
A brooder cage or box is simply a container of some kind that you raise chicks in. Some people use a dog cage. Some build a wooden box. Some use a large Rubbermaid tub, etc. It's a way to keep the babies contained in an area where they are safe from predators. I would not use a heat lamp unless the space is large enough for everyone to get away from it if they get too hot. Mama should not need it, and babies only need it if they don't have the mama to get under to stay warm. Look into heat plates - they are safer and more natural for keeping babies warm than heat lamps.

A brooder cage or box is simply a container of some kind that you raise chicks in. Some people use a dog cage. Some build a wooden box. Some use a large Rubbermaid tub, etc. It's a way to keep the babies contained in an area where they are safe from predators. I would not use a heat lamp unless the space is large enough for everyone to get away from it if they get too hot. Mama should not need it, and babies only need it if they don't have the mama to get under to stay warm. Look into heat plates - they are safer and more natural for keeping babies warm than heat lamps.
I don't use heat lamps. too dangerous. I use an Eco Glow

Back
Top Bottom