Baby chicks (less than a week old) dying like flies (6 today)!

pete-n-pam

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
We bought 48 fertilized eggs from a supplier. Has some problems keeping the temp right in the Hovabator. Only 23 hatched most a day late. Of the ones that hatched about 10 have died. They go lethargic, some crooked neck, others just falling over and laying on heir side. Hard time breathing. No coordination. They have medicated chick starter. Nutrition enhanced (electorlyes, vitamines, etc.) water. No exposure to otehr chicken or equipment used with other chickens. I've tried hand watering and hand feeding. Nothing seems to work. What's happening? Help!

Also, the heat is right, plenty of air. (We've done all this before with no problems).

First stop the electrolytes, these should only be used during times of high stress. Second get different feed. If the electrolytes are not knocking their systems out of whack and causing the deaths then there is a possibility the feed is cotaminated.

I'll ask the obvious, how clean are you keeping the brooder? They could also be getting contaminated from the brooder floor.

The floor of the brooder is clean wood shavings (pine, not cedar) covered with paper towels and changed 1-2 times per day.

Should I get new medicated or just get egg-layer crumbles?

I'll change plain sugar water immediately while awaiting more replies.

I don't recommend the sugar water at this point, not until you can get a handle on what may be going on. You can add Polyvisol vitamins to the water without harm.

I would certainly give a new feed a try. The peeps need the high protein feed, not layer that has calcium so stay with chick feed but change manufacturers. Even if the replacement brand does not have amprollium that's fine that can be dealt with later.

Ok. I've changed to plain water. We managed to reach a feed store 2 minutes before they closed and they're leaving a pound of Start-n-Grow outside the door to get us through the night (30 min drive each way). I also made up a gruel of cooked oatmeal, egg, and yogurt to try. I've lost 3 more since I first posted. I'm hand watering a drop at a time the ones that are too weak on their own. Guess we'll hope for the best. Thanks for your help.

OMG!!! I feel like such an idiot!!! I misread the instructions on the electrolyte package and gave them an extreme overdose. This was a different brand than I've used in the past. Looking back, I remember thinking that it seemed like alot and I just figured it was like more like Tang where you put 2 tablespoons in a glass of water. darn! What a stupid thing to do! So much for my 140 IQ.

The surviving chicks are consuming the plain water like crazy. I just hope it not too late and we can save the rest.

That's what makes us human, we do make mistakes.

In the future don't use the electrolytes in the water "just because." The body, us included, has a balance that when all systems are working properly keeps our electrolytes in balance. When they are out of whack whether from a cardiac episode, extreme illness or as you just found out over dose it can be a death sentence. They should not be given as a routine part of the bird's maintenance.

It disturbs me to see folks constantly recommending the use right from the start, to me its worse then jumping right to giving antibiotics.

Good idea about the snack you made up.

Good luck, hope this ends the losses.

Just to add a little to what Robin is saying my rule is that if they are hatched at my house they only get plain water. There is NO stress moving them from my bator to the brooder in the next room. I only give V&E if I have chicks shipped in.

Back
Top Bottom