Baby Chicks making me sick?

Use Medicated feed ONLY for sick birds and then I might check with a vet to see if the medicated feed will actually address their illness. If it's making you sick it's probably not good for the birds either. It affects the eggs and certainly the meat as well. Part of raising birds at home is so that YOU are not eating the constantly over medicated flesh and eggs. Search around for unmedicated feed or look for a way to make it yourself. There are unmedicated organic feeds out there. I get mine from a local organic farm that buys in huge bulk.

Now Im a little concerned when I get my chicks. As of now, I have the brooder partially built in my bedroom. I cant think of a place here where theyd be safe. My front porch isnt screened and garage has been used as a storage shed by the landlord for years. The carport as well. Would it be better if I just slept on the couch until theyre outside?

Edit: or if I placed the brooder in the closet?
You need to get them out of human inhabited areas. Chicks can be tough if they need to be. I didn't see your response 3 weeks ago, sorry. Well if you kept them in the bedroom or closet you are probably regretting it right now. I hope you found a nice place on the porch to keep them.
Best,
Karen

You need to get them out of human inhabited areas. Chicks can be tough if they need to be.  I didn't see your response 3 weeks ago, sorry. Well if you kept them in the bedroom or closet you are probably regretting it right now. I hope you found a nice place on the porch to keep them.
 Best,
 Karen

Im getting them during the last week of April. I cleared out a portion in the center of the carport for them. One thing I don't like about living here is my landlord has been using "my" garage as a storage unit for years. I'd feel more comfortable using the garage.

Glad you are well again. I hope you like your new black breed rooster. What are those cuties suppose to be I wonder?
Thanks! They are Easter Eggers. Are you saying the black one is a rooster? I'm hoping it's a hen, but I have a feeling it's a rooster. I plan to keep him either way. I have heard that black and white EE chicks turn out to be roosters. Not sure if there's any truth to that though. BTW, they are the friendliest little chicks I've ever had and they are so much fun!!

i think you should take their advice i found out the hard way
sickbyc.gif

Would having chicks in the human habitat also apply to other types of birds like parakeets?
IMO, yes it does. Especially for someone who has allergy or asthma issues. I grew up with a small animal zoo in my bedroom, and I bet that's why I have such respiratory issues now. Small birds, while not having as much issues with dander as chickens, can and do spread the stuff from their cages far and wide.

IMO, yes it does. Especially for someone who has allergy or asthma issues. I grew up with a small animal zoo in my bedroom, and I bet that's why I have such respiratory issues now. Small birds, while not having as much issues with dander as chickens, can and do spread the stuff from their cages far and wide.
I agree. I have a friend (crazy bird lady...lol) I rarely visit because she has multiple caged birds (african gray, conures, who knows what other breeds) in the home and "visiting areas" and just a few minutes of visiting and my eyes are burning in my head. (And she keeps them fairly clean.) Now, I can brood my chicks, (this last hatch was 12) inside in the playroom which is off from my bedroom, and the first 4-6 weeks it is no trouble at all. They are easy to keep clean, easy to keep the smell down, and a lot of fun to have around. (Not so much by 8 weeks and older. Then it becomes a hassle and way too much work.)

I highly believe it comes down to a personal level of how sensative you are, as well as how maintained the cages/pens/brooders, how much fresh air is circulating, how MANY birds we are talking about, ect. There's just a lot of factors involved when it comes to wether or not you are able to brood inside.

Back
Top Bottom