Baby Chicks pecking at open sore

EricPark

Hatching
Apr 20, 2020
First time chicken owner. My baby Cornish cross are pecking at one with an open sore. What can i do? Very nervous.

EDIT: They are 1 week old. He/she is pecking at it too. I’ve put on neosporin and I’ll wait to see it that stops the pecking as it’s not exposed blood(plus it should help heal)

Ive quickly read up on some causes of pecking(besides being chickens).

-too warm. I’ve raised the heat lamp and may turn it off during the day. I’ve placed a box to allow them some shade. This is a strong possibility imo
-not enough protein. I’m feeding them a 22% protein feed. So I don’t think that’s the issue.
-stress. We walk by them daily(brooder is in garage). I don’t let the kids hold them. Trying to limit stress. Don’t think that’s it

I’m open to anything

Last edited:
It’s currently 63 degrees. They are located in garage/carport. Look like garage but no back wall. Opens to courtyard.

is the lamp too low in there when closed?

Attachments

• B760D837-9DAC-4E47-ABE9-F2B59C1C95EE.jpeg
    B760D837-9DAC-4E47-ABE9-F2B59C1C95EE.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 4BD66BAA-0A68-4D3E-AE13-26916F7892AA.jpeg
    4BD66BAA-0A68-4D3E-AE13-26916F7892AA.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7
Is that a heat lamp or just a regular bulb? How far off of the bottom of the brooder would you say the heat lamp or bumb is? At first glance, it does look very low, but it is hard to tell without proper scale. Thanks.

That is pretty close for a heat bulb. Do you have a thermometer you can lay in there on the bedding to see the temp? I laid our meat thermometer in mine since I didnt have another option. I believe you may need to raise the lamp. See of you can put a thermometer down to get a temp.

Back
Top Bottom