Baby chicks - piling

bbdee1275

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
How long do baby chicks need round(ed) corners in their brooder? Currently they are in a (new) round metal fire pit ring, but will graduate to a bigger space by the weekend, but we're concerned with piling. Picture is about a week old.....they are currently 8 days old. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
Resized952021042895132251.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first time I've ever heard of chicks needing rounded corners in the brooder. Like Isadora said above, if they have what they need and aren't scared, then they'll be fine. They do like to clump together and snuggle in a puppy pile for naps and just to hang out, but that's not a problem. They are very snuggly when young. If they aren't peeping loudly or looking distressed, or actually getting trampled, then it's not a problem.

Rounding corners is more recommended for bigger batches of chicks (as small groups are less able to trample/crush each other), and you do have a decent number of chicks there. I guess if you want to be on the safe side you can continue rounding them off in the new brooder (like well secured cardboard would do the trick) for another week perhaps, after that I would think they'd be steady and strong enough to avoid that issue.

Back
Top Bottom