Baby chicks question!

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I noticed one of my chicks was acting different a week ago, she use to be really active and now she forages for food for a bit then goes under a nice shady bush and sits down for an hour or so and takes a nap, she constantly takes naps all the time especially since we have a acre of land and shell be all the way in the corner of the fence sleeping and her brothers and sisters and other flock members would be all the way on the other side in the front yard, I usually check on them alot to see if everything's okay and I usually find her by herself sleeping, or eating by her self, I've gave her a boiled egg thinking it would help her and she ate all of it and did a bit better but she's still taking naps all the time and she's puffed up? Is this normal or is she sick please help

She's definitely sick. We've seen this a few times with both success and a few deaths. The best thing you can do right now is set her up inside with a heat lamp, soft bedding (we usually use sawdust for our sick ones), a water dish near by, and a food dish near by. If you can take her to your usual feed store, they should have some antibiotics or probiotics that will help. Another handy tool is gaterade- give that chick some electrolytes! We have found that the red gaterade has the most positive effect on a sick chicken.
Basically, as soon as you can, you should wrap her up (we usually use a basket with an old sheet for her to sit on and a bandana to keep her covered) and take her to the feed store. From there, they can recommend a vet visit (if necessary) or give you something else to help. While she's home and feeling under, keep her inside (away from whatever weather you have) in a more staqble environment. It's better if she's in a quiet room with a heat lamp and easily accecible food and drink to keep a constant temperature and avoid stress.

She's definitely sick. We've seen this a few times with both success and a few deaths. The best thing you can do right now is set her up inside with a heat lamp, soft bedding (we usually use sawdust for our sick ones), a water dish near by, and a food dish near by. If you can take her to your usual feed store, they should have some antibiotics or probiotics that will help. Another handy tool is gaterade- give that chick some electrolytes! We have found that the red gaterade has the most positive effect on a sick chicken.
Basically, as soon as you can, you should wrap her up (we usually use a basket with an old sheet for her to sit on and a bandana to keep her covered) and take her to the feed store. From there, they can recommend a vet visit (if necessary) or give you something else to help. While she's home and feeling under, keep her inside (away from whatever weather you have) in a more staqble environment. It's better if she's in a quiet room with a heat lamp and easily accecible food and drink to keep a constant temperature and avoid stress.
She's inside right now, eating a tomatoe, and I just gave her some Gatorade (red) its really hot here, but do I still keep her under a lamp?

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Alright you need to go to the feed store and get some Electrolyte &
Probiotic to add to her water supply and make sure the water is clean daily and wile you are at it make sure the others get some also
big_smile.png

The hard boiled egg you might want to try twice a day for several days to help clean her out ... and a natural yogurt for several days
this should start to get her on the way to good health ....
wink.png

I haven't any idea what you are using as feed but some feed with
20% + protein would be good for a wile and add some water to the feed for good measure as this is the windy time of year ...
smile.png

Like everyone has said keep her inside and warm ...
thumbsup.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Is he all fluffed up and looking cold? How is the poop...diarrhea like or any blood in it? Is she off her regular food a bit and not drinking much? Could be cocci. You might give her a run of Corid for 5 days. You can get this a most feed stores.

If the temperature is between 98 and 102, then no. But a sick or young chicken loves a lot of heat. And if you're worried about sleep, get a redish heat lamp, they can sleep with those on them

Is he all fluffed up and looking cold? How is the poop...diarrhea like or any blood in it? Is she off her regular food a bit and not drinking much? Could be cocci. You might give her a run of Corid for 5 days. You can get this a most feed stores. 
She poops normal dosent have any blood, she is fluffed up and looks cold, she's a free ranged chick with her momma hen so she eats insects and vegetation I throw in some millet seeds and corn outside in case they dot find much..

I would get her under some heat for a while. If she is suffering from something, the heat might help heal her. She still could have cocci. Watch her poop really closely and if it turns runny, you might consider the corid. If she turns up with any other symptoms, she could also have a bacterial infection. If you suspect bacterial, you could give her some meds in her water. But I would get her under heat for a couple days and see if she goes down hill or improves. This is what I would do if she were my chick.

Back
Top Bottom