baby duck hasent pooped

shelena

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
I recently hatched this khaki campbell duckling. He is two-three days old. He hatched normally and is playing in the water bowl in the brooder. Lastnight he seemed to be laying in an uncomfortable looking position, I picked him up and his tummy seems hard and bloated, I didnt notice any poop in his area, he doesn't seen as active as he did earlier. I looked at his vent area and he just had a small pink "outie" I gently wet my finget and rubbed slightly but no poop. His vent does not look normal to me, there is no opening just this protruding flesh, it moves with each quack but no poop, he seems backed up to me. Is this normal? Please help, I dont wanna lose him

Ok well I just went out to check on him and he was sitting in the water bowl in a perfect upright position DEAD. Im sad :-( I had a feeling that would happen. I picked him up and took a pic of his bottom. I cant fix him now but would appreciate help on this for the future. I have two dozen other ducks in the bator andI hate losing any

His stomach might of flip or noted or he was just the runt in the egg he might not of developed the pooping proses. I'm so sorry for your lose.

So is his vent normal? Is it supposed to stick out like that or me more of a slit like a chicken? I normally dont look at ducks (hard to do with such thick down)

Last edited:
Ok thats what I thought, so nothing I could do i guess, uh so frustrating to have a beautiful healthy looking baby and lose him in such a way, I did read a similar post, no pics but she described the same with same result, sure wish I could find more info on this, I like to know the reason why things happen and if they can be changed or prevented

Ok now that I have looked onside. He didnt have any trace of shavings or food. His yolk was fully absorbed and consumed within. All upper bowels and organs looked good. Had sever impaction at the bottom of his lower bower in the location a vent should have been. There is a outside part where the vent tried to develop but inside it was a complete dead end.... poor guy, ive never seen this and every google result came to pasty butt ect, this was a birth defect. I took photos but they are graphic

I posted my findings to help others in the future, nothing I hate more than a question with no answer :)

Wow, so sorry this happened to you, but thanks for sharing your experience with us! What an unfortunate birth defect.

Back
Top Bottom