Baby duck rescue - sick?

WildCatDuckMom

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
I am now the mother of a lone baby duckling, his name is Larry
His mother was hit by a car and there are no other siblings.

I noticed a small swollen spot under his left eye, looks similar to getting a black eye. There is no discoloration and it does not bother him if I brush against it. He did sneeze and wheeze a little the day prior and today. He is playful, energetic, good appetite, vocal, makes bowel movements.

Thoughts on a possible diagnosis or thoughts on treatment? I make sure he gets warm-ish (never cold or hot) water play time in my pasta pot, the most convenient and deepest thing I have.

Hi WildcatDuckMom, Thank you for taking in this little lonely fellow. As you probably know, Ducks are group animals. So when they are all alone and there is no way to find them a similar aged companion, please provide a little mirror in his/her space.

Would it be possible to upload a picture of the swolen area? Is he/she pooping and eating alright?

There is so many advice to give. You'll get more when others read this post. I'm sure!

The swelling is soft, and for what it’s worth he socializes with my cats. They are incredibly unimpressed by Larry and it’s never unsupervised.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 7
Aww so much cuteness in one duckling 💛 .
Luckely I've neder experienced this with one of my ducks so I can't help you properly.
Let's wait and see what others have to say.

I found this old topic. The duck is a bit older. Maybe it helps you while waiting for others to reply... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lumps-under-duckling-eyes.1406865/

again, thank you for taking the duckling in your home...

The swelling is soft, and for what it’s worth he socializes with my cats. They are incredibly unimpressed by Larry and it’s never unsupervised.
The picture makes it look healthy. It will need Duck crumbles to eat which will have niacin in it to give it strong legs. It is not a Mallard so it might be a Muscovy??? What did Mother duck look like? My Husband had a duck as a child that bonded with their dog. Shared the same doghouse and dog food!!! Lived for years outside like that then after the dog died it died shortly after. Probably from loneliness. You can get a mirror to put in the brooder with it and also a stuffed or rubber toy and it will be happy that way too. That is how I had to raise a lone duckling until it could join the rest of my flock. Good luck with this little one. It's a cutie!!!

Back
Top Bottom