baby duck wants to swim???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I have a baby duck that is a week and 1 day old, also one that is 1 day old, When Can I put some water in the Tub, and let them swim, Also does the Water Temp have to be a Certain Degrees?

2. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Any Idea Anyone? I am anxious to get them to swim, just dont want to kill em if it is to early!!!!

3. beckschicks

beckschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    I wait tillmine are a week or so old give them a feed pan with a block in the middle and about 1" of water. I have been known to put them in the bathtub too just make sure you supervise if you do.

4. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    I let my mallards (ruens?) swim at a couple weeks in the bathtub; my wife was all for it - so cute. What's crazy is that it's about 10 degrees here today and guess what; gave them some water, I look over, and they're STANDING in it.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Ducklings love water right from the start! The concern with brooded ducklings is that they don't get oil from a Mama duck's feathers so they cannot float and can get more easily wet to the skin. So they're fine with just some shallow warm water to dabble in, and shouldn't be in a cold drafty place right afterwards.

I love it when I have a broody duck and get to watch her with new little ducklings swimming alongside her. We call them "tub toys" when they're that little but can swim so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by