THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS

daisycaratti

Hatching
Apr 8, 2024
Hi guys I live in Western Australia and am currently incubating quail and chicken eggs. tonight will be day 4.

please see the pictures attached

Question 1
1) the incubator says 40.3 degrees Celsius
2) the one below it is a hygrometer / thermometer all in one (this sits against the wall no probe)
3) the yellow one is just the temperature (the probe is sitting in the air)

I dont know which one to trust? please advise

I am thinking its normal for temp and humidity drops with a mother hen anyway when she gets off to get food and water so does it matter as much? I could be completely wrong

Question 2
also the humidity is hard to keep stable and I am very confused on what temp it should be as everyone says something different its drops and then I try and add more water in and its goes pretty high with little water

Question 3
what day to candle I did do one last night and I see growth :) I only did one though also when do you throw them out like what day would you do it?

Question 4
what do you think of this incubator the website made it sound fantastic but I am not Sure . I think maybe a little unreliable.... here is the link its sounds great on the website though but would love some honest opinions I feel like its cheap made out to be fancy? again could be wrong

https://allenotis.com/products/eggnest-deluxe-incubator

thanks everyone have a great day

Attachments

• incubator.png
    incubator.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 6.14.37 am.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 6.14.37 am.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 6.15.08 am.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 6.15.08 am.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Do you have a stick thermometer? One that isn't electronic? Where is the probe for the incubator? Where is the probe for the yello? Is this a still air incubator? If so, the temps at the bottom and the top of the chamber are hoing to be significantly different. Depending on where your probes are set, all three could be right.

Does it have an automatic turner?

I wait until at least day 7 to remove clears.

Do you have a stick thermometer? One that isn't electronic? Where is the probe for the incubator? Where is the probe for the yello? Is this a still air incubator? If so, the temps at the bottom and the top of the chamber are hoing to be significantly different. Depending on where your probes are set, all three could be right.

Does it have an automatic turner?

I wait until at least day 7 to remove clears.
hey Lauren, here are my answers to your questions

Do you have a stick thermometer? can you show me exactly what you mean by attaching a picture?
if I did have one what is the difference between using that one Andy other ones

Where is the probe for the incubator? see picture with the 2 on it its in the red circle its up the top

Where is the probe for the yello? did you mean yellow thermometer its near the other one and its sticks in the air see number 3 in the picture

Is this a still air incubator? there is a fan up the top please see number 1 in the pictures attached

Does it have an automatic turner? yes it does .

hope this helps let me know what you think I've uploaded pictures

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 8.10.08 am.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 8.10.08 am.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 8.10.25 am.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 8.10.25 am.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Non-electronic thermometers don't need to be calibrated, they don't fail because of heat or humidity. They just do their job, and while they can be off it's going to be consistent. I always prefer to have a manual read thermometer.

Buytra-1Pc-Medical-Mercury-Freeglass-Thermometer-Clinical-Measurement-Device_6d22ea1a-a3ee-45...jpeg

Since you have three thermometers showing different readings, it's likely you have hot and cold spots. With a fan that's less likely, but it's still possible. A square incubator is more complicated in that regard.

Your temperature for chicken eggs and quail eggs both should be 99.5 F, or 37.5 defrees C. Half to 1 degree in either direction should be acceptable but will affect development. 40.3 is definitely way too high. The other two are in a reasonable range. Since your eggs haven't cooked and are still alive, I assume it's the incubator temp that is incorrect. At that temperature the eggs would have cooked by now.

Back
Top Bottom