Incubation humidity

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
I am incubating for the first time and have the Sailnovo 20 egg holder, although it only holds 16 of mine and many are small. The settings are 100 degrees and 61% humidity. Is 61% too high? I don't know why it would default to that but I can lower it if needed. Thanks for your help! Just started them yesterday so hopefully I didn't do anything wrong.

This room temp dropped from 74 to 65 degrees over night and the humidity is now at 55%. I put the styro foam cover on it which is what the directions for the Sailnovo 20 egg incubator state.

Last edited:
Are these chicken eggs? Your humidity is a little high, but still fine. I'd leave it as is and let it naturally come down to somewhere in the 50s or 40s and try and keep it there until lockdown.

Do you have separate calibrated thermometers and hygrometers or are you relying on the built-in ones?

What eggs are you incubating? But 61% should be good perfect actually
I have australorp (large), easter eggers (small/medium) and grey orpington (banded eyes). That's good to know. Seemed high from other articles since they said to increase to that at the end. I have a hygrometer but the machine auto turns the eggs so I don't know where to put it inside.

Humidity went up to 66% after I put the cover on so that may be too high. That's according to the machine though. Not the hygrometer.

I have australorp (large), easter eggers (small/medium) and grey orpington (banded eyes). That's good to know. Seemed high from other articles since they said to increase to that at the end. I have a hygrometer but the machine auto turns the eggs so I don't know where to put it inside.

Humidity went up to 66% after I put the cover on so that may be too high. That's according to the machine though. Not the hygrometer.
Yes I'm in the last week of incubating Sebright X silkie and Sebright X OEGB

Good luck on your hatch

Are these chicken eggs? Your humidity is a little high, but still fine. I'd leave it as is and let it naturally come down to somewhere in the 50s or 40s and try and keep it there until lockdown.

Do you have separate calibrated thermometers and hygrometers or are you relying on the built-in ones?
Yes chicken eggs! :) The machine came with the settings ready to go so I don't know why it's so high. Maybe the built in thermometer is incorrect. I have a hydrometer but the tray rolls so I don't have a place to put it inside. It's been in the mid 60s most of the day.

Yes chicken eggs! :) The machine came with the settings ready to go so I don't know why it's so high. Maybe the built in thermometer is incorrect. I have a hydrometer but the tray rolls so I don't have a place to put it inside. It's been in the mid 60s most of the day.
Hmmm, I'm looking at your model 'bator and there isn't a great way to add any extra gauges in there. Oh well. I'd just leave it be for now and see if it goes down some within the next few days. Looking at your username, are you in GA? With our naturally high humidity over here the incubator will probably stay within the right humidity parameters with you having to add little to no water.

Hmmm, I'm looking at your model 'bator and there isn't a great way to add any extra gauges in there. Oh well. I'd just leave it be for now and see if it goes down some within the next few days. Looking at your username, are you in GA? With our naturally high humidity over here the incubator will probably stay within the right humidity parameters with you having to add little to no water.
I'm in SE North Carolina. The humidity in the house is around 46%. I may have added too much water out of the gate so I'm hoping it goes down soon. It's at about 66% still. Today is day 3. Should I dump the water? What is the best humidity % at this stage through when they start to hatch?

I'm in SE North Carolina. The humidity in the house is around 46%. I may have added too much water out of the gate so I'm hoping it goes down soon. It's at about 66% still. Today is day 3. Should I dump the water? What is the best humidity % at this stage through when they start to hatch?
You can dump the water. The optimal % during incubation is somewhere in the 50s or 40s.

Back
Top Bottom