Baby duck

Susiemae13

In the Brooder
May 28, 2018
I had a broody chicken hatch a duckling but once it hatched she did not stay with it. I currently have it in a cage in the run. It is pretty hot here. Will he be okay without a heat lamp until I can get one tomorrow?

How hot?

You don't need a heat lamp.
You can use a heating pad or a regular light bulb.

Where about in the world are you located and is the duck inside or outside?

You can take a long sock and put a cup of uncooked dry rice in it and microwave it for 30 seconds.
Put the rice sock in the cage with them and see if he cuddles up next to it.

Be sure to test the rice sock on your arm before you give it to him.... To make sure it isn't too hot.

How hot?

You don't need a heat lamp.
You can use a heating pad or a regular light bulb.

Where about in the world are you located and is the duck inside or outside?

You can take a long sock and put a cup of uncooked dry rice in it and microwave it for 30 seconds.
Put the rice sock in the cage with them and see if he cuddles up next to it.

Be sure to test the rice sock on your arm before you give it to him.... To make sure it isn't too hot.
I live in Arkansas it was 98 degrees today. The duck is outside. I figured it would get to cold inside. My ducks and chickens live in the same pen. It use to be a dog pen so there is a huge dog house in the middle that I have the little cage in. My ducks have never been ones to sit on their eggs for more than a day. My Easter egger hen decided to along with some of her eggs which won't hatch because I don't have a rooster.

I had a broody chicken hatch a duckling but once it hatched she did not stay with it. I currently have it in a cage in the run. It is pretty hot here. Will he be okay without a heat lamp until I can get one tomorrow?
I wouldn’t worry about temp this time of yr. I’m in Tennessee and been hatching them all summer long without using a heat lamp at night but I do keep them in a brooder for about 3 weeks. I put them in a small pen during the day to let them play.

Back
Top Bottom