baby duck

Elly

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
I posted earlier and was given some great info, but I still have a few more questions that may sound silly, but here it goes.

1. I was told that I should get duckling crumble, will the baby on it's own start eating it or do I have to keep putting it by the dish, I also haven't seen it take any water....

2. If the mother has run of a barn (large) and able to get outside, will she take the baby back to the food ??? or should I offer it several times to the baby where ever they are?

3. How old are they when they start to go into the water...I have a kiddie pool that a small duckling wouldn't be able to get in...I'll have to figure something out so that it can later on or when ever they start to go into the water...any suggestions?

4. Do I have to be concerned with the male hurting the baby or the other female?

again thanks for your patience and the great info

elly

Here are the answers to you'r questions:

1. Leave a dish of food and a waterer that the baby can't drown in, the mother will show the babies how to eat and drink.

2. You should leave food and water in a few different places the mom is familiar with, she will take them there.

3. They can swim from day 1, but I would wait until they are at least 1-2 weeks old. Make sure the water is shallow enough for their feet to touch the ground at first and they can easily get out.

4. It depends on the drake's personality. Some will kill the babies and others love them just as much as their mom. I always keep mine separate just in case.

It might be a good idea to confine the mom and babies in a cage for the first 3-4 weeks, depending on the predators you have around.

Good luck! I hope I helped.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I always put a bit of the food in the water to introduce ducklings to it. Otherwise, they may gobble down a bunch of food and not realize that they need to "wash it down" with water, and they could choke. By putting some of the food in the water and letting them dabble at that for awhile, they always get the idea and I offer them dry food after a few hours.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom