Baby duckling with suspected Prolapse vent and need advice to help fix

LeiaLayers5

Songster
May 12, 2015
Suffolk VA
My Coop
My Coop
I rescued a baby duckling couple days ago and we have gotten it to eat and drink but I noticed today that it's vent seems inflamed and a bit protruding. Can you advise what to do, I first noticed that it would back up like it wanted to poop but then nothing really happened and then when it does its very small increments not matching what it is consuming so i am afraid it is backed up. It also has a gimp leg that we cannot seem to be able to work out how to fix either but vent is more important right now.
20190710_165155.jpg
20190710_165325.jpg

Try getting more water into it by making a really soupy mash for it to eat, and encourage it to drink if you can.

Questions...
What are you feeding it?
Does it's belly seem bloated?
We are feeding it the Chick Feed (unmedicated) watered down so soupy mash as you said and it is drinking regularly. It doesnt seem bloated to me but I am just going by what previous babies we raised looked like and looks normal currently as far as i can tell.....

We are feeding it the Chick Feed (unmedicated) watered down so soupy mash as you said and it is drinking regularly. It doesnt seem bloated to me but I am just going by what previous babies we raised looked like and looks normal currently as far as i can tell.....
Any idea how old it is? Since you rescued it, I suspect that it could be a little dehydrated which is why it's having trouble pooping and why it has a little prolapse.

It's also possible that it ingested something difficult to digest. Whatever they cause, I think getting more water in it will help, so maybe try making it's food even more wet.

I rescued a baby duckling couple days ago and we have gotten it to eat and drink but I noticed today that it's vent seems inflamed and a bit protruding. Can you advise what to do, I first noticed that it would back up like it wanted to poop but then nothing really happened and then when it does its very small increments not matching what it is consuming so i am afraid it is backed up. It also has a gimp leg that we cannot seem to be able to work out how to fix either but vent is more important right now. View attachment 1841233 View attachment 1841234
There are some really helpful articles on this site about treating prolapsed vent. I hope the little guy comes through.

My avian vet recommended applying a little Preparation-H to the protruding vent when my adult duck hen had a similar issue. It helped lessen the inflammation and relieved any itch or pain that might cause the duck to scratch with feet or bill. I don’t know whether this would be helpful or appropriate for your duckling. Maybe someone with more experience with young ducklings will be able to offer an opinion.

Hmm? Well it takes a couple of days to actually get digestive symptom working so it might get blocked up? Your sure that's not its umbilical area still swollen?
I do not think so, I felt something higher than this area on belly that seemed stiff and dry that I assumed might be that after absorption, but this is where is is defecating out of.

Any idea how old it is? Since you rescued it, I suspect that it could be a little dehydrated which is why it's having trouble pooping and why it has a little prolapse.

It's also possible that it ingested something difficult to digest. Whatever they cause, I think getting more water in it will help, so maybe try making it's food even more wet.
I would guess not much older than a day or so when I found it based on size comparing to one time hatch experience. It has been drinking and peeing but the poops are tiny. I have increased the soupyness of the food hoping that would help too.

My avian vet recommended applying a little Preparation-H to the protruding vent when my adult duck hen had a similar issue. It helped lessen the inflammation and relieved any itch or pain that might cause the duck to scratch with feet or bill. I don’t know whether this would be helpful or appropriate for your duckling. Maybe someone with more experience with young ducklings will be able to offer an opinion.
I read online to apply witch hazel for inflammation and petroleum jelly to keep moist, so I have been doing this and trying to keep it clean as it gets dirty when it tries to go bathroom. Here is picture this morning:
20190711_074144.jpg

Back
Top Bottom