Baby ducks and water

Last months ducklings at 1 day old getting rid of all the baby fuzz
FebBath011.jpg

Elliot at 5 days old and Gemini at 12 hours old

bathtime001.jpg

I have two Khaki Campbell ducklings (2 1/2 weeks old) and the absolutely love their morning bath in the bath tub. While I'm cleaning out their brooder box with fresh shaving and washing all the "dishes". My hubby and son watch them play.
I keep the water warm and dry them off as best I can, then back in the box. I actually think they look forward to their bath.
I got them when they were already a week old and they were trying to swim in their water dish, so I went ahead and let them take a bath.
I love it when the do the "submarine" its so funny to watch.

76248_img_0559.jpg

If you supervise and the water is warm, they can swim after a day or two. Keep it short, dry them off after a short time and pop em back in a warm brooder. No problem.

They will let you know when they are done as well... They will stop splashing and moving around. Infact what I do with mine is put my hand underthem and pick them up open handed.. If they start cleaning off their feathers (down) they are done... If they are trying to get in the water... they arn't ..lol

Mine have been swimming since they were 7 days old. I wish i had them swim before because it definitely has helped a few of them trust me more.

As I promised, Pics.

I put them in this morning. They seem to enjoy it but very cautious of me. Im still trying to sit with them and get them to warm up to me but I cant hold just one, I have to hold all three otherwise I have an orchestra of peeps and frantic birds. LOL. They do not dive head first but they did clean themselves and move around and duck their heads. I realized I didnt have any peas
sad.png
so I will have to pick those up soon.

84161_first_bath.jpg

84161_ducklings_in_the_tub.jpg

Today our ducklings had their first bath time fun! They spent about 10 or 15 minutes just paddling about. Our Rouen did a few dives first thing while our Cayuga just paddled around and groomed herself. They just loved it! Not sure how old they are....the Rouen seems to be about a week old, but the Cayuga....not sure..she's almost twice as big. Perhaps 2 weeks? Anyway..afterward was just as fun for them. It was Daddy snuggle time..wrapped up in a towel nest with a heating pad underneath while I put my arm around the nest and gave them some "tickles" in there fav spots...on the sides of their head. It was so adorable!

I think it depens on the weather and if they are hatched or bought. I have a shallow basin the barn. Daphne hatched out 7babies thurs and Friday and they are getting right in the water, course Mama is watching.

Well... I allow all mine to swim from two days old...Water stimulates the oil gland...Mine right now are tiny Calls and swim daily in a Kiddie pool with Momma...I have bricks set up to help them in and out of the pool....Mine live outside ...Have no fear, they won't freeze allowing them to swim...

Back
Top Bottom