Baby ducks are hatched!!

Yay!!! Congrats and hope to see pics soon... what breed? and
welcome-byc.gif

Beautiful!! Didn't you post the pic recently of her watching them hatch or am I thinking of someone else? CONGRATS!!!

@carcar80 This is the first picture I posted, so it was not me! Just took a count, I have 12 ducklings and one more egg that is hatching now! I'm so excited!! Does anyone know the mortality rate for ducklings? Just want to
Know what I should expect!

Well, what kind of environment? I think as long as they are safe from predators, etc there's not much reason to have great survival rate. My first-time mama last year, though, lost a baby a day in our pond until she down to zero.. I'm hoping it was bc she was a first timer? I've heard they don't do the best their first time in the wild. She is on her second attempt at a nest this season now (under a tarp, ON my hay bale lol) so if she makes it through the theory will be tested.

She would be miserable closed up ad I doubt she'd sit, otherwise I would try. But if I keep taking eggs away she just keeps laying/moving, so each year I'll just let her have a go..

Last edited:
Well, what kind of environment? I think as long as they are safe from predators, etc there's not much reason to have great survival rate. My first-time mama last year, though, lost a baby a day in our pond until she down to zero.. I'm hoping it was bc she was a first timer? I've heard they don't do the best their first time in the wild. She is on her second attempt at a nest this season now (under a tarp, ON my hay bale lol) so if she makes it through the theory will be tested.

She would be miserable closed up ad I doubt she'd sit, otherwise I would try. But if I keep taking eggs away she just keeps laying/moving, so each year I'll just let her have a go..
car car I'm thinking something must have gotten those duckings to lose them all. maybe snapping turtles or rats?

Back
Top Bottom