baby ducks next year!!

I've finally convinced my mom @Hedgeland Farms to let me get ducks next year! (despite not having a pond lol) in return i have a LOT of research to get done. I really want welsh harlequins, but am aware that every so often they'll go pretty broody. I'm open and grateful to any advice, suggestions, and facts. :)
I suggest Indian runner ducks..I have several dozen they r amazing little ducks about knee high and they don't waddle like normal ducks they walk and run like people they look like bowling pins with leggs....and best part u mention not having a pond for them...the Indian runner breed does not need water to mate

I've finally convinced my mom @Hedgeland Farms to let me get ducks next year! (despite not having a pond lol) in return i have a LOT of research to get done. I really want welsh harlequins, but am aware that every so often they'll go pretty broody. I'm open and grateful to any advice, suggestions, and facts. :)
side note, are there any ducks that do well/better then others in a small flock of 3?

I am so glad you are doing all the research over the year before you get your ducks, @duckiel0ver!! That's so responsible.

You don't need a pond. My one tip to you is try and get hold of a children's sandpit, rather than a kiddie wading pool. Sandpits are more robust. Those blue wading pools are really cheap but they spring leaks and always in the cold months when they cannot be replaced at Walmart!! Advertise on social media -- NextDoor or any local to your area Facebook groups. Say that you need an old sandpit for ducklings and you will be surprised how people want to help!! The green sandpit -- it has a lid which can be useful -- was in response to an advert I put on NextDoor, for my son's ducks. My own was also a green Little Tikes turtle sandpit, but it had been put out on the side of the road and I picked it up, giving my son sandpit envy. I am currently on an extended stay away from home, and someone offer the blue sandpit on a Buy Nothing group on Facebook.

Attachments

• 20230316_095825 1.jpg
    20230316_095825 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220603_145935.jpg
    20220603_145935.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 4
Great job on researching first
Many people don’t have ponds and use kid pools or plastic sand boxes
My kid pools have held up but one did get a little crack and fixed it with Alien tape. Hasn’t leaked at all ( tape is amazing )
I also got fish ponds second hand and those work great
But deeper for diving ect
In the kid pools I drilled a hole at the bottom side and attached a hose
I torn the switch and it drains down ti the last inch
Much easier to pick up and dump to clean it
As for going broody usually if you collect every morning that stops them but you may still get a persistent one who will hide her eggs or like my pekin who was so determined she decided to sit with one egg cause I kept taking them
I eventually gave in and gave her a few more 😆
I have pekin , khaki , pekin x khaki Swedish and adding in Ancona in a few days
I love a mix of birds

Back
Top Bottom