Baby emu friendliness

Ha funny you should say that! I'm training mine to come to a certain whistle ... every day the process is to load them into a basket, close the basket, carry them out to the run, and the same to return at night.

I use the same whistle as "Oh look I have food", or "Its OK just come here I'll protect you", but tap inside the basket ... when they come running and step halfway inside I simply scoop them in and shut it. I figure this is Float training!

I'm trying to train them "If you're scared run to me" ... that's easy ... but "If I'm not there, run to 'Home' (the basket)" ... that works if the basket is right at the gate where they last saw me ... so actually I guess it doesn't work. Not yet anyway.

Interestingly now they've been outside a few times, they seem much happier with me. Much more confident and will now brush against me, actively look at me (willing me with their beautiful eyes for treats!) letting me know they want something etc.

You know, I bought them to replace a hole in my heart over a cockatoo a neighbours dog brutally murdered while we were out one night moving house. He was my baby and helped me through my grandparents dying etc.
Since they passed I've noticed I haven't bonded with an animal the same way I used too. So since my cockatoo passed I've felt little to no love for other animals despite trying.

Today I was looking at these two imagining needing to rehome them if this didn't work out, and it made my heart SO heavy. It was the same time they were sitting closely to me and following me for the first time too. Though it was before they did that.

I was starting to think maybe everyone is right, and I'm crazy, and I should've done the normal thing and got a dog.
But oh gee, it's really hit me how much I love these two.

Attachments

• 20170831_141304.jpg
    20170831_141304.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 14
Emu do that to you.

No joke I've noticed it. They bond, or we bond to them ... I don't know what ... I've noticed multiple people commenting on it, or showing every sign of it.

Several people who have bought eggs and hatched them as pets comment on maternal feelings watching them hatch ... and they subsequently become one of the family.

The whole egg care for 2 months, turning, First Wiggles (SO exciting). The woman I bought my eggs off when I said I had wiggles and they responded to my voice she said "Oh yes you're bonding! Its a lot like having a baby".

Now they're running around the farm with me looking to me like a mother (Father?) ... and yes I feel like they're kind of my babies ...

Its really cute now we have a baby goat bottle feeding too, she comes in and out of the emu pen areas and she is learning to Spazzy Dance with them!! She prances around and bunts at them, they rush around and spazzy dance up to her, she leaps in the air, pirouettes, throws herself on the ground and rolls around thrashing her legs in the air ... slightly disastrous when she does it on top of the water bowl but hey its really cute. Goats don't normally do all that ... they run and jump. They don't roll and thrash ... she picked that up off the Emu!

Looking at the picture, part of the problem may be that Harvey and Holly look like they've taken a spill from the motorcycle. Just give them time. ;)

They are adorable! I didn't really think about how small they start off as. I have emu's on my wishlist to add to the farm family. Hoping that will happen next year!!

Good luck with your babies and be super patient.

Back
Top Bottom