Baby Freedom Rangers

They can go out for a little while or all day? I've got my dog pen, it'll be put up and some mesh added to the lower section to prevent them from escaping... good to know! I can put hay down on the dirt for outdoor bedding, right?

Quote:

UGHHH I thought the whole point was to let them pick at the seeds? Why can't everybody agree, that would make life so easy??? I've been giving alfalfa to them to nibble since they aren't allowed outside yet... that was bad?

nooo, you are okay. just watch with how much hay they put down. everything in moderation. plus, you could chop it up.

also, you have to feel your way. just because something works for one person or a hundred for that matter, doesn't mean it'll be optimum for you.

chickens survive in the jungle, without us. you will be fine. you obviously have great care for your birds and you'll get comfy, just like when you bring a new baby home, you can read a million books, but some things you just have to live to figure out.

and uh, what time do your kids leave on the school bus (aka the Twinkie, as we call it here)
so i can get my picture fix?!?!?
lol.png

Quote:
Yeah, I crumble it up when I put it down.

chickens survive in the jungle, without us.

But with a survival rate that most home chicken raisers might find objectionable.

and uh, what time do your kids leave on the school bus (aka the Twinkie, as we call it here)
so i can get my picture fix?!?!?
lol.png

What I wouldn't give for the schoolbus. No, my migraine and my sorry butt need to drive them half an hour to school and then drive home. Then uploading... but I promise not to forget.

If you want it sooner, I could send it to a cell?​

Sorry for the delay. Life was complicated.

Here's a photo of my son standing at the new brooder in the barn. The birds are about 12 days old in these photos:

31b75715183c.jpg

Here are birdies dancing on and around their sunflower. Most of them haven't figured out that it's food... yet.

2b684242dcfc.jpg

Close ups of a few different birds, not great shots... sorry!

df71cb392b1f.jpg

419dab13fe2b.jpg

d2127662d07f.jpg

Ahhh, the joys of baby Rangers...
smile.png

I'm not sure about the hay/straw thing. Mine have been on pine since day 1 and
haven't had any problems. We lost a few which is typical. No impacted crops.

Ours are SO fat and healthy at almost 8 weeks. A few are 5 pounds now, maybe more.

I can't say enough good things about them. I'm just super impressed.

You did get yours from JMHatchery right?

I'm not sure where Greyfields has been but he is the resident Freedom Ranger expert on BYC.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom