Baby geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by razvanM, Jan 31, 2013.

1. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    I am plaing ordering some hortobágyi fehér lúd as I live close to Hungary,those are are a very hardy,large goose that can weigh up to 6-8 kg dressed.I know this because few people in my region tried raising them and told me how big they can get.I am planning ordering them in march.I am raising geese for a long time and mine always hatch their goslings in april and they raise them.But I wonder if it isnt too cold in march for the baby geese.How long do you think I should use a heating lamp,and at wich age can I let them out.Are baby geese sensitive to cold ? if you want to see this breed check those videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ludzrt?feature=watch

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Goslings if not raised by their mothers will need supplemental heat until fully feathered. and until fully feathered they will need to be kept inside a brooder , on nice warm days they could be outside for short periods of time. Baby geese are sensitive to cold. The geese remind a little of Embden. do they have blue eyes?

3. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Well last year I bought some bany gosling in april and reared them outside with no mother and they growed up just fine,so I dont think those will nedd too much head maybe only in the first 2 weeks.And yes they have blue eyes.Even the romanian geese(a small autosexing breed) that I raise have blue eyes.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Interesting, please post pics once you get your goslings, I'd love to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by