1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Goat Incoming!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by silkieloverz123, Feb 21, 2015.

1. silkieloverz123

silkieloverz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    Washington
    I am sorry for your loss. It would be devastating. We have goats for money from milk and kids but I don't see it that way. I see them as my babies. Do you know how much a system like that would run? I felt V's and they are definitely there hard and pencil like, but I cant feel Bella's they have been gone for about 3 days now so sounds like she will be like your doe. I will just keep checking on her and making sure she is alright.

2. silkieloverz123

Oct 21, 2012
    Washington
    @JulieJo1216
    How is your egg problem going?

3. JulieJo1216

JulieJo1216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    Well I separated my Americana from the other two, one is a bard rock and then the wyndotte to see if the other two are going be doing the same thing. so hopefully it will be a one time thing. I just hope the other two don't start being egg eaters. The bard rock hasn't layed her first egg yet she's only 5 months old where the wyndotte is 2 years old and has layed many eggs.The Americana just started laying eggs she's layed 2 so far unless she's been eating them :( thank you for checking back I will keep you posted :)

4. silkieloverz123

Oct 21, 2012
    Washington
    OK i will be watching.

5. poult

poult Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    I have egg eaters they eat em when the shells are soft I have to get more grit & oyster shells thats why I've been having soft shells.When they get enough calcium & the egg shells harden I don't see that problem nearly as often.My hens tried eating my gooses egg but couldn't break the shell :lol: Also if you feed them old shells from their eggs without crushing them up they see the resemblance & eat the eggs in their nests.I would do as someone posted on here earlier collect eggs as often as you can.(3 times daily would be best probably) & then keep about 3 or so golf balls in the nest so they get tired of pecking at them and keep getting nothing they should get bored and stop.

6. silkieloverz123

Oct 21, 2012
    Washington
    You can put the egg shells in a pan and bake them, and they can eat them without eating their eggs. The baking makes them turn kinda shiny, so that they no longer resemble the eggs the produce. Hope your problem is resolved.

7. poult

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    Lol thanx I don't usually feed them their shells anyhow & they aren't being to bad right now.One bird I could never teach was my turkey hen no matter what I did.

8. silkieloverz123

Oct 21, 2012
    Washington
    Today Bella's ligs feel.... weird. They feel mushy, almost swollen. She also layed on her side today and stretched her legs out as if she was pushing. There is still movement violent kicking but I think she is gonna do it soon.

9. poult

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    i wish you & her the best of luck when the time comes!

10. silkieloverz123

Oct 21, 2012
    Washington
    Thank you. She is doing some pretty weird stuff, so I think it'll be soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by