Baby goslings, care and questions

If the chicken starter is medicated, yes it can cause illness in goslings. If the feed is non-medicated just add some dried Brewer's Yeast (for niacin) to either their water or feed. its found easily at GNC, just don't get the time release stuff.

I fed my goslings medicated turkey crumble and she died from poisoning and niacin deficiency combined.
Thank you very much! I just checked and the starter isn't medicated. I was worried I was killing them without even knowing it. Sorry about your goslings. :(

Thank you very much! I just checked and the starter isn't medicated. I was worried I was killing them without even knowing it. Sorry about your goslings. :(

Thank you, the other goslings are doing very well. I was able to save them, just not her. I am glad that your feed is not medicated. Just add some Brewer's Yeast until you can get them out on grass. when you do start grazing them, make sure that you offer them chick grit to get them started. Chopping romaine lettuce and giving it to them is also good as romaine has a lot of Niacin in it naturally.

Soon you will just as addicted as the rest of us and be those goslings willing slave!
bow.gif

Thankyou, Starfire. I will be getting my first goslings next week. This thread was real important. I'm glad I read it because I have medicated chick starter. So, I'll be shopping.

I'm really sorry you lost a gosling to have to learn that way. I learned about my chickens having Marek's the same way. I had a whole hatch of chicks die and that's the way I found out.

I've had all my chickens on Nutritional yeast. I got some really good stuff on Amazon with the name Frontier. It's loaded with all the B vitamins. I think me and hubby should be eating it too!

Quote:
If I can save other peoples goslings life by sharing my story and what little knowledge I have, well it helps. Niacin is vitamin B3, so make sure that is in there. they also need other nutrients. A great book with a lot of information is The Book of Geese by Dave Holderread. I purchased it on amazon and it has a ton of helpful information. everything a new goose keeper needs to know about; breeding, incubating, hatching, raising, maintaining, and common illness and treatments.
I am so sorry about the loss of your chicks.

Last edited:
You can feed some plain starter, non medicated, however it is too rich for a complete diet. There will be several big problems. Get gras or other greens to them, even it you have to use scissors to cut some weeds or buy veggies from the grocery. don't feed at night, they eat too much, not normal,when the parents are caring for the goslings they do not get food at night. I haven't heard about beet greens, carrot greens, cabbage, spinach, chard, etc, probably some of each is a good thing. Greens give the proper vitamins and not excessive proteins. The wings and legs will grow slower and stronger. Have fun.

You can feed some plain starter, non medicated, however it is too rich for a complete diet. There will be several big problems. Get gras or other greens to them, even it you have to use scissors to cut some weeds or buy veggies from the grocery. don't feed at night, they eat too much, not normal,when the parents are caring for the goslings they do not get food at night.  I haven't heard about beet greens, carrot greens, cabbage, spinach, chard, etc, probably some of each is a good thing.  Greens give the proper vitamins and not excessive proteins.  The wings and legs will grow slower and stronger. Have fun.

Thanks. I put my goslings out on grass no later than 1 week old.

I think I'll go out and remove their food right now. The Toulouse goose is mighty big. I have to get them out tomorrow for longer periods of time. Maybe they should be in a pen?

I think I'll go out and remove their food right now.  The Toulouse goose is mighty big.  I have to get them out tomorrow for longer periods of time.  Maybe they should be in a pen?

I start letting my goslings out no later than a week old. At 3 weeks old mine are usually out all day free ranging. At 3 weeks mine have started feathering and their oil glad seems to kick in at that age. So I let them go forage, swim, and just hang out in my yard all day. My entire yard is fenced and is a birdie playground. My chickens, ducks, and geese go everywhere and have a good time. I did fence my garden off from them, but they get all my veggie clippings and any over ripe berries from my strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry plants. Another way I supplement my goslings feed is sprouting. I sprout oat and wheat seed for them and they love it. It takes about a week for sprouts to be ready to feed to them.

Back
Top Bottom