Baby Harlequins arrived this morning !

rockyspringsfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Huntington, Texas
I received my Welsh Harlequin ducklings from Holderread's this morning !!!!! They are such strong active babies....I had ordered 10, received 11. They came out of the box busy !! Right now they are happy dabbling in their honey water with grass bits on top and getting settled into their brooder. I was more than a bit nervous about ordering babies from half way across the country (we're in deep East Texas) since priority mail instate takes at least 3 days around here. But I said my prayers and sent the money. Holderread"s shipped Monday evening and they were here this AM...about 36 hours.

There were several reasons I picked the Harlequins..The first thing is I like the idea of working to preserve something that is so critically endangered.....they are excellent eggs layers (have to be practical)....they will get broody on occasion....plus they're beautiful which doesn't hurt anything either !! I ordered ducklings from their show quality matings with the hope that maybe there would be one or two I could exhibit when they get old enough. I've shown registered goats for years and think exhibiting ducks would be just as much fun.

I am considering the addition of some Magpies this next season and have a question for the duck breeders....does the "blue" gene in the duck follow the same pattern as the "blue" gene in chickens, turkeys, etc ? From blue to blue matings you will get both black and blue ?

If I can figure out how to do it I will post some pictures of the babies in the next day or two. Hope everyone is having wonderful baby duck hatchings !!!

wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif

Congrats!
ya.gif
Aren't they the cutest!!!!
love.gif
Love those little stinkers while they're little 'cause they grow sooooo fast!
th.gif
Here's a pic of my Metzer 'Quins that are 5 weeks old...they grow from palm size to basketball size in just a few weeks!
13587_june_14_2010_17.jpg

You will be thrilled with your Holderread's ducks. Mine are gorgeous, but I am biased. I just rehomed my Holderread's drake, not because I had a problem with him, but because he fathered so many babies in this area I needed a new bloodline for next year. I still have my hen. She lays beautiful, huge white eggs and just hatched out her first small clutch. I don't show poultry, but she looks like a champion to me
big_smile.png

24982141104176159013988.jpg

Oh you will love your Holderread ducks. They are wonderful I ordered 10 from them and got 11 also. I got 6 GWH and 5 Ancona.

Add the Ancona over the Magpies. The Ancona are critically endangered also, a heavyweight duck, great layers (They keep up with my Harlequins easily) and each one is different. They are not identically marked like the Magpies and they are super ducks.

Here is my crew....

7630_hpim6920.jpg

7630_hpim6900.jpg

7630_hpim6894.jpg

With these two breeds, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Rockyspringsfarm, I just received my Dutch Hookbill ducklings from Holderreads this morning - the replacements for the first 11 that were STOLEN from my house a few weeks ago.

I've ordered chicks and once ducklings from other hatcheries and always hated opening the box, usually at least one fatality - but the two orders I've had from Holderreads have been perfect. Fat little butterballs full of life and ready to drink and eat the greens out of their water. They didn't settle down for a nap for almost an hour.

Now I'm out to build the Fort Knox of duck pens - I need to keep out raccoons, coyote, hawks, owls, dogs, eagles, and now PEOPLE!

Pictures?????????

Quote:
Rockyspringsfarm, I just received my Dutch Hookbill ducklings from Holderreads this morning - the replacements for the first 11 that were STOLEN from my house a few weeks ago.

I've ordered chicks and once ducklings from other hatcheries and always hated opening the box, usually at least one fatality - but the two orders I've had from Holderreads have been perfect. Fat little butterballs full of life and ready to drink and eat the greens out of their water. They didn't settle down for a nap for almost an hour.

Now I'm out to build the Fort Knox of duck pens - I need to keep out raccoons, coyote, hawks, owls, dogs, eagles, and now PEOPLE!

Pictures?????????

Yay! You got some more! You should start a thread and post pictures too!
smile.png

Unlike the hatcheries, Holderread's hand picks their babies for shipping. They do not just grab a handful from a bin. They really take pride in their ducks and geese. I would never buy from anyone else.

I have 5 of the Holderread Harlequines from my last order. Mine where from a May 27th Ex-Asortment. Maybe you seen them in my Cheese Burger thread with my Grandson. I also picked up a order today from Holderread. Some Spotties, Silkies and Runners. They are all healthy. I never had any problems with not getting healthy birds from any hatchery. One year I order over 1,000 birds and had maybe 4 DOA's. I think you have more problems with small orders and I don't order small.

I market the sex of the babies from the bill color so I did not have to figure it out later. I got 3 male and two females. I wish it was the other way around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom