baby has droopy wing

callieisspooky

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Carmel Valley, CA
One of my 5 day old poults has a wing that seems to droop a bit and isn't folded as tightly as the other. He also doesn't seem to be able to use it as well as his other wing. Is there anything I can do, or should do? He seems perfectly fine otherwise.

Here is a picture. Left wing of far right baby.

That is a pretty much normal occurrence with some types of turkeys. One person who claims to have paid attention to his poults that developed this type of wing at that age claims that all of his that exhibited that characteristic turned out to be toms. I have noticed this in bourbon red poults and suspect that he is right about them being toms. It will grow out of it in time.

The little guy can barely use his wing. I couldn't stand it any longer and called our avian vet. Apparently, this is angel wing, and it does happen in turkeys. She said it must be taped up into the proper position or it will be a lifelong deformity. We have an appointment Tuesday to do so. Glad I called for the peace of mind! But not glad about the upcoming vet bill. :/

The little guy can barely use his wing. I couldn't stand it any longer and called our avian vet. Apparently, this is angel wing, and it does happen in turkeys. She said it must be taped up into the proper position or it will be a lifelong deformity. We have an appointment Tuesday to do so. Glad I called for the peace of mind! But not glad about the upcoming vet bill. :/
Either that's true or they're being businessmen and trying to make money. I left mine with a wing like that and it's slowly aligning and that poult can fly better than some of his peers.

Also, if they're Broad Breasted Bronze then there is no point in fixing it's wing. It won't be able to fly either way.

These are heritage bronze and will be pets, so we went ahead and brought her to the vet. She only charged $17 so I don't think she was out to take my money :). We didn't x-ray, but she said the joint felt enlarged. First she wrapped the wing only, but the bandage slipped down and so she re-wrapped the next day. Here is the final wrap result, which will be redone every week as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom