Baby has only one wing!

yuckyuck.gif

Oh! Thanks for all the really funny comments. Ya know... since I got these chicks I've had a lot more laughter come into my life, and now this really awesome response! My hubby and I laughed all the way thru this!

Thanks for all the really great name suggestions, but Hubby named the little chick Tripod. I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow. Seems like none I've taken so far are very good, but I'll give it another try.

A really weird thing happened this afternoon. The hen started going after two of the chicks (the biggest ones in the group) in a really aggressive way, chasing and pecking them whenever they got close to her. She ignored the other 3 almost entirely but at least she wasn't beating them up. I've noticed that one of the ones she was going after has been jumping on her back for several days now and found this extremely amusing, but realize now that this could be rooster behavior. Would she go after these chicks if they are roosters? This went on for several hours and at one point I thought I was gonna have to remover them from her reach, but when I went out to 'tuck them in' for the night, she had all 5 up under her as if there had never been a problem. I'm kinda wondering if the hen might be trying to encourage the bigger chicks to begin taking care of themselves by chasing them off like that?

Again, thanks for the humor!

That's exactly what she's doing. The hens will start to ignore the chicks eventually she will peck and be mean to them if they come near. "She's kicking them to the curb" as we call it. The poor chicks are always confused, and will follow her at a distance, hanging together in their own little flock. Eventually they will get the point, but be prepared for a lot of plaintive whining from them in the meantime.
roll.png

Yup, we NEED pics of your little guys!!!!!! Come on SHOW them off!!! I like Tri-Pod, just refrain from calling him TP for short, might give him a complex....especially if he trails behind....LOL! Ok, not really that funny...but It sounded good in my head! HAHAHAHAHA!!!
hu.gif
lau.gif

I wouldn't name it if you're raising them for meat. I myself do not raise chickens for meat so I have named all of mine, but if you plan on eating them you will get more attached once they're named.

Quote:
I must say... Nemo gets my vote! ADORABLE! Keep it for sure! Will probably be your sweetest little chickie! I know it would quickly become my favorite!
smile.png

I currently have one chick that I can't figure out if her legs are messed up and really short or if she just has so many feathers on them I can't tell! lol! She gets around ok though and doesn't seam to be bothered so I've let her be... She actually quite pretty aside from that.

Yeah, my Hubby was raised on a farm and he said the same thing about naming them before we got them. "You don't name livestock!" says he. But within a week he had them all named.
big_smile.png
When I teased him about it he explained, "Well, we'll be keeping these babies for eggs." I then reminded him that some of them are most likely roosters so they won't be laying any eggs." He just kinda shrugged and gave me that helpless look he gets when his actions contradict his comments. I got out there and took some pics this morning. They aren't really good photos, but I actually got in the coop this morning and handled the chicks for the first time. They weren't real happy with me, but a worm or two made me their best friend! HA!

The hen... think she's a Dominique....
91010_hen.jpg

Pics of Tripod... couldn't get one of her outside with her wing up, but on her right side all she has is a nub with a few little feathers that stick up when she raises her wing(s).
91010_tripod_a.jpg

91010_tripod_b.jpg

91010_tripod_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom