Baby Mallard Duck Behavior Question?

ASTURGES

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
I have 4 new baby mallards that are 2 days old. I hatched them in a home incubator. I am a first time duck mom.
When they all try to sleep one of the mallards is pecking at the eyes of the other ducklings and seems aggressive. Its always the same duckling acting this way and only when they are all trying to sleep. Should I be concerned?

Do you know the temp in your brooder? And maybe make a separation for a few day and keep this little one on one side but where they can still see each other. I made a separation for my brooder using a piece of hardware cloth wrapped the edges with gorilla tape and kept newly hatched separated from 2 week olds that way they can share heat but not touch.

Do you know the temp in your brooder? And maybe make a separation for a few day and keep this little one on one side but where they can still see each other. I made a separation for my brooder using a piece of hardware cloth wrapped the edges with gorilla tape and kept newly hatched separated from 2 week olds that way they can share heat but not touch.
[/QUO
I finally separated them by plastic so they can see each other. They are all 3 days old and get along fine until it's time to nap. Then thos one particular duckling pecks them all aggressively in the eyes and they retreat. Is this a way to start the pecking order or is this just a bully.?

The other ducklings act like they miss the bully but then they cowar when it pecks at them and cry out.

I finally separated them by plastic so they can see each other. They are all 3 days old and get along fine until it's time to nap. Then thos one particular duckling pecks them all aggressively in the eyes and they retreat. Is this a way to start the pecking order or is this just a bully.?
Thank you for your insight.

Back
Top Bottom