Baby Monitor?Would it alert us if a predator tried to get in our coop?

Thanks for all your replies! I'm happy to hear a monitor works so successfully for most of you. I'm going to look for a monitor today! If I can find one, I'm going to set it up before I even get the chicks out there! I'll be able to get used to the sounds of the night before we put the chicks in. I'm a very light sleeper but we always have either the fan, the A.C. the room humidifier or something running so it's hard to hear over them. I'm sure I'd hear any strange noise in the coop.

Thanks again!!
big_smile.png

**UPDATE** I told my co-workers that I needed a baby monitor and one of the gals brought one in and gave it to me the other day!! She'd had it when her 94 yr. old great-aunt lived with her!! Woohooo! She wouldn't even take any money for it! So she'll be getting lots of fresh eggs this fall.
big_smile.png

Is anyone using a video monitor? Recommendations as to brands? I'm just getting ready to move my first ever chicks out to the coop and was curious to see what they're up to at night...Thanks in advance for any advice!

We have a video cam in our coop that has great sound quality. I use it more so in the early morning and at dusk to check their status. We do not keep it on all night though but if we did we would be able to hear if anything concerning was going on. We also installed one in the run for the day time. Worth the investment for the peace of mind for us. We use cloud edge cameras, water proof, durable, long lasting charge, excellent sound and video quality. Honestly though, our greatest piece of mind comes from knowing we have sealed, latched, locked and hardware clothed every nook and cranny as well as underground. Once we get an electric fence installed I think we will feel more completely at ease.

We have a video cam in our coop that has great sound quality. I use it more so in the early morning and at dusk to check their status. We do not keep it on all night though but if we did we would be able to hear if anything concerning was going on. We also installed one in the run for the day time. Worth the investment for the peace of mind for us. Honestly though, our greatest piece of mind comes from knowing we have sealed, latched, locked and hardware clothed every nook and cranny as well as underground. Once we get an electric fence installed I think we will feel more completely at ease.

Thank you for the quick reply! What kind / brand of video camera do you have? I would love to check in on them morning and evening...We have hardware cloth over all windows, etc & the run will be made of it as well....my husband is really constructing to take care of these chickies! When it's done I'll post a pic

Thank you for the quick reply! What kind / brand of video camera do you have? I would love to check in on them morning and evening...We have hardware cloth over all windows, etc & the run will be made of it as well....my husband is really constructing to take care of these chickies! When it's done I'll post a pic
Below are the links to what we got
We got this one https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Powered-Waterproof-Detection-Compatible/dp/B0816RV4BF

There are cheaper options though. We really like the quality and the charge lasts a long time (it's been lasting weeks)

We also got a wifi extender so that the video camera could get live feed. Check first if you need a wifi extender. Here is the link to what we got, again- quite an investment for us but its top quality. There are probably cheaper options for this too.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Wall-Plug-Whole-System/dp/B072ZN4PSB

This is what worked for us. Many other options, choices, products and prices out there though.

That's great you guys are predator proofing. My sleep has improved incredibly since we did that! The video cameras are an added bonus.

Below are the links to what we got

We got this one https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Powered-Waterproof-Detection-Compatible/dp/B0816RV4BF

There are cheaper options though. We really like the quality and the charge lasts a long time (it's been lasting weeks)

We also got a wifi extender so that the video camera could get live feed. Check first if you need a wifi extender. Here is the link to what we got, again- quite an investment for us but its top quality. There are probably cheaper options for this too.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Wall-Plug-Whole-System/dp/B072ZN4PSB

This is what worked for us. Many other options, choices, products and prices out there though.

That's great you guys are predator proofing. My sleep has improved incredibly since we did that! The video cameras are an added bonus.

You are wonderful! Thank you for all the info. Are you in the midst of the heat wave out there? Talked with my family in the Baltimore/DC area and they are roasting!

You are wonderful! Thank you for all the info. Are you in the midst of the heat wave out there? Talked with my family in the Baltimore/DC area and they are roasting!
No problem! I hope it all works out. The last four days have been brutally hot here! Almost 100 and very humid. Getting some storms now though and hoping it will cool things off a bit! My poor buff orpingtons were really struggling but cold yogurt seemed to help!

Back
Top Bottom