Baby Monitor?Would it alert us if a predator tried to get in our coop?

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I had a wild idea (possibly a dumb idea) and wondered if anyone else has ever tried it? Has anyone tried a baby monitor in their chicken coop so you could hear if a predator is trying to get your chickens? I mean do chickens set up a racket if they are being bothered in the night? It's just a thought and if it would work, I'd start looking at yard sales and good will stores for a used one.

I'm really getting worried about putting my babies out in the new coop, what with all the reports on here about predators wreaking havoc with ppl's flocks! Predators were one of the main reasons I got out of chickens last time I had them and I've vowed to do all I can to protect my chicks this time!! (we thought we had done enough last time...Wrong!!)
sad.png
:mad:

**UPDATE** I told my co-workers that I needed a baby monitor and one of the gals brought one in and gave it to me the other day!! She'd had it when her 94 yr. old great-aunt lived with her!! Woohooo! She wouldn't even take any money for it! So she'll be getting lots of fresh eggs this fall.
big_smile.png

We have a video cam in our coop that has great sound quality. I use it more so in the early morning and at dusk to check their status. We do not keep it on all night though but if we did we would be able to hear if anything concerning was going on. We also installed one in the run for the day time. Worth the investment for the peace of mind for us. We use cloud edge cameras, water proof, durable, long lasting charge, excellent sound and video quality. Honestly though, our greatest piece of mind comes from knowing we have sealed, latched, locked and hardware clothed every nook and cranny as well as underground. Once we get an electric fence installed I think we will feel more completely at ease.

We have a video cam in our coop that has great sound quality. I use it more so in the early morning and at dusk to check their status. We do not keep it on all night though but if we did we would be able to hear if anything concerning was going on. We also installed one in the run for the day time. Worth the investment for the peace of mind for us. Honestly though, our greatest piece of mind comes from knowing we have sealed, latched, locked and hardware clothed every nook and cranny as well as underground. Once we get an electric fence installed I think we will feel more completely at ease.

Thank you for the quick reply! What kind / brand of video camera do you have? I would love to check in on them morning and evening...We have hardware cloth over all windows, etc & the run will be made of it as well....my husband is really constructing to take care of these chickies! When it's done I'll post a pic

Below are the links to what we got

We got this one https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Powered-Waterproof-Detection-Compatible/dp/B0816RV4BF

There are cheaper options though. We really like the quality and the charge lasts a long time (it's been lasting weeks)

We also got a wifi extender so that the video camera could get live feed. Check first if you need a wifi extender. Here is the link to what we got, again- quite an investment for us but its top quality. There are probably cheaper options for this too.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Wall-Plug-Whole-System/dp/B072ZN4PSB

This is what worked for us. Many other options, choices, products and prices out there though.

That's great you guys are predator proofing. My sleep has improved incredibly since we did that! The video cameras are an added bonus.

You are wonderful! Thank you for all the info. Are you in the midst of the heat wave out there? Talked with my family in the Baltimore/DC area and they are roasting!

Our barn is 250 feet from the house and we used a baby monitor for years to listen to our horses. Worked great. These days I'd almost be tempted to put a video cam in there with the costs coming down. I haven't checked lately, though.

I've always had a baby monitor in the coop. You'll have to learn what all the growls, squeals, etc mean, then I'm sure if carnage was taking place, you'd know. The roosters crowing you out of bed at 2 a.m. you get used to, as well.

I'm so glad to know this...I'm getting one. I'll watch yardsales and tell all my friends who yardsale!! I'm going to check good will too!

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom