BabsChickieNewB

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
I just switched my set up to accommodate more birds (currently have 3 adults but 4 juveniles and 4 babies in the brooder). I had a large horse wire fence very predator proof cage that I took apart. Now I have a 10X10 chain link fence with a tarp zip tied to the top (it’s not fully tied at the moment). My girls stayed in the turquoise coop (it wasn’t on the ground before and I still plan to raise it) but are now in the pink coop. The grey cage is more for bunnies but I’ve been putting my juveniles in there during the day to get them used to outside. The big girls free range the backyard all day. They have been for the last year with no problems. I have two territorial cats and a lazy dog.
But here is my new problem. We have cameras all over and they’ve caught foxes on the regular but now there are raccoons as well. My dog is on her last leg and I’m afraid once she goes, they’ll all come after my girls. Has anyone had a problem with pests only after their dog passes? How hard will the raccoons and/or foxes try to get into my coop? I plan on fortifying more before the dog goes but will they still be able to free range during the day? I’m right in the middle of the city nowhere close to outskirts or fields or anything.
Any advise appreciated
IMG_2692.jpeg

This is a great question and concern. And I can confirm that it's almost clockwork. My sweet Leo passed and just 3 days later we had a BEAR. Year's prior to that we had a crazy racoon that we'd see during day hours but my Newfie would tree it and it never got my chickens. Dogs are wonderful daytime predator protection. I can see a coon climbing in there at night. I have a chain link run as well but my gals are locked up tight at night in the coop as I know my run is not predator proof, like yours. So when you say "my coop," are you locking them in the little houses ?? Can you leave a light on at night? If I was you and wanted peace of mind, I'd do a bit of construction. You really don't have to be a pro to upcycle something solid like a wooden dog house or re enforce and expand the pre fab coops.

I plan on attaching more chicken wire/ metal netting to the bottom and burying it (if that makes sense) so they can’t dig under. And then cinder blocks on top of that around the base. I need to attach locks to the pink coop so I can lock it at night. Should I put a light in there at night? I shut them in at night but it doesn’t have handles or anything yet. I’m not sure what to do with the top yet. Maybe a bigger tarp that goes over the edges? The grey “coop” has locks

Yes, you may have an issue. The raccoons can climb into the enclosure-the tarp will not keep them out -even when secured. But, if your builds are closed tight with an actual latch a toddler could not open, then that might be ok.

Foxes can dig and climb, but I’ll assume they would dig first.

We start to trap when we see evidence of a coon digging here and there. Relocation is typically illegal, you probably can’t shoot it in the city, however you may be able to call state wildlife office or county ag extension office to get some guidance on Ways to deal with the situation.

Toddler proof locks-I’ll get those installed for sure. Will my girls still be able to free range in the day? Raccoons and foxes are usually just out at night right? I’m usually home all day too

Free range is a risk no matter where you are. Even in an urban backyard, with a regular neighborhood fence, free range birds can become prey. However, I’d doubt you would have a raccoon problem during the day-have them in by dusk, don’t let them out before it’s fully light.

Foxes are hunting whenever they are hungry and they are canines. They do not exclusively hunt at night. If you have brush, woods, places nearby the fox can hide to plan his attack, then yes, they could be at risk. Keep monitoring on the camera. Since none of your animals have been attacked yet, the fox or raccoon hasn’t been rewarded yet, which is good. Once rewarded they will continue to try to get a free lunch until they kill them all, or are continuously thwarted and they decide to leave.

Perhaps it will help, since you are home, to have a way to hear the animals if there is a predator nearby. Chickens will often sound an alarm-which may be when they see a threat or may be when they are being attacked, but you could readily respond.

If you are able, you could consider an electric poultry netted fence. Look it up on premier 1 website. They are portable and I hear good things by people who use them to free range when there are potential daytime predators.

Good luck! I hope they stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom