Baby Monitors.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bucky52, Oct 24, 2014.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have been reading here on BYC.that some folks use them.There are some nights,I think I hear my chickens.I will raise my windows and listen.I'm paranoid.My hens are in a secure coop.Buried wire, Cement pavers and two strands of hot wire surround their runs and coops.they are locked in with padlocks.They are 200 feet away from the house.What is a good monitor and were can I purchase it.Oh and by the way I have never heard a peep out of them.when I get up in the night to listen.Still I do worry.

Thanks
    just a worried Chicken Mama.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I bought 2 sets = 4 total cameras from a Walmart closeout when my girls were chicks 2013. They are all weather surveillance cameras with small monitor to joggle between the cameras. Now they're hens, but still makes me feel better to be able to check on the coop perimeter and inside the coop to be sure all is well. It was especially fun when they first began laying, I could see who came and went from nest boxes.

A few months ago added a IP camera so I can make sure they're ok when I'm not at home.

The baby monitors would be ok for short term, but aren't weather proof and can be even more costly than the surveillance outdoor types.

Search for best price and go for it, it really will make you feel better. But won't take all the worry away.

Make sure you get IR type so you can see in the dark.

3. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for the information.I will do my research.I have never had a problem but there is always a first.

thanks
    bucky52

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a baby monitor in my main coop, has its own night light. The receiver is in my bedroom. It cost only about $20 and I can hear things in all the other coops as well as far out into the neighborhood, like coyotes yipping, etc. It's inside one side of the main coop on the wall and has worked beautifully for years. Its how I hear when my older arthritic rooster falls off the roost. Last night, it happened to be his year old son on the other side, LOL. DH went out with his flashlight to help Rex get back up on the roost, poor guy was wandering around dazed and confused.

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I am truly impressed, honestly. I thought only us new to chicken raising would do anything like this. You have made my day..thanks.

1 person likes this.
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm glad you approve! I've had a monitor in the coop since the first days with my original girls. I've had to its change location from time to time, depending on which one I needed to check on the most. It's alerted me to the death of birds, sadly, hearing the death throes, so I could remove the body before morning. One night a couple of weeks ago, the Orpington coop was making odd noises which I heard over the monitor in the main coop and I found a long-suffering hen had passed away and took her body out immediately.

I just sleep through the crowing roosters most early mornings, though when the hens get going like a bunch of seals barking on a rock, I get out of bed and turn down the volume. Man, they can make more noise than all my roosters put together!

Over the past week or so, my BR cockerel, Atlas, has been set off crowing around midnight a few times and it's alerted me that something has probably been prowling around. Without the monitor in the main coop, I might not have heard him crowing since he is further away from the house than the main coop is. I would feel odd without that baby monitor in the coop.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

Try an advanced search on wireless baby monitors (some members use them). Like speckledhen we've been using an inexpensive wired model, to good effect, since 2005 (Safety First $20.00 model cass picked up at a dollar store).

Couple of the hens growling? Rancor over roosting real estate. All hens growling and roo softly barking? Get the rifle and Spotlight, slip on the mud boots and shoot the coon prowling the fence line, worrying coop walls. Roo crowing no longer wakes either of us up, growling chooks or the warning `pweeeting' of turkey hens, however?

A useful tool, if one is at home and isn't too deep a sleeper.

8. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    I'.m not a deep sleeper.every little noise wakes me up.My coop is about 125 feet from my house.I will do some research.Thanks.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have trouble sometimes sleeping through mine. Dog in house can serve as amplifier and for me is also first responder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by