Baby needs culled. Not mine, can't do it. Now what???

The chick will pass eventually on it's own. Remember, even though
the animal may be in pain chickens don't have the mental abilities
to comprehend suffering. I've had chickens with very serious wounds
who are able to "turn them off" and still act like a normal chicken.

The chick and your dilemma will both soon pass.

Lets not foget this is a chicken that is suffering not someones child. I love my chickens as much as the next guy/gal but lets not forget these are animals. If the thing is suffering end its suffering period dont get all caught up in doing it humanly just get it done and forget about it. Culling chickens happens.

luvmychicknkids...my apologies for your dilema.
hmm.png
Its a terrible place for those of us who hate to see the suffering of another person's pet. I had a neighbor years ago with a sheepdog who couldn't use its back legs...they let him drag himself around for a long time before he died. I saved a mouse my cat brought in the house because I didn't want to see my cat toying with it (or making a mess with it in the house). Let Mom know that this is stressful for you to see the babe suffering. On the flip side, make sure she's giving it electrolites and some B-12. Is Mom treating it with anything or just waiting it out? If she won't cull it, help her to treat it.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
i believe that humans an animals are equal, in all ways. i also believe the humans SHOULD have the option of euthanasia. my great uncle actually asked for it at the hospital EVERY DAY until he passed. he was in horrible suffering, and couldn't speak well at all.

i would recommend the Co2 method. it's humane, gentle and quiet. it's not that difficult. in the wild, nature would have culled this chick a long time ago. i am very sorry that you have to see this chick in such a terrible happening. it's not the chick's fault that she is in this condition. It makes me feel sad just thinking about an innocent animal in pain, she didn't do ANTYHING to deserve this. hopefully, you can talk to your mother and she will understand. i have been raising chicks since i was very very young, and it was then that i learned that if a chick is not doing well at all, can't care for itself and is in great pain, that sometimes it's better to take it out of it's misery. we've always used Co2. it's safe, painless and peaceful. you can even hold the chick and comfort it during the process.

i must say that i certainly learned a few things just by keeping up with this thread, and i really hope all goes well.

I'm sorry! It does hurt to see anyone/anything suffering. However, I agree with what some of the others have said...the chick belongs to your mom, so it is her decision what (if anything) to do to the chickie.

If an animal is simply ailing, but not seeming to be in pain, I would be the person who would feed it with a dropper and snuggle it constantly until it either died or got well! LOL
smile.png

If an animal is in pain, I would agree that it needs to be put out of its misery, but I would not be able to do it myself. I just can't! I can process a chicken from killing cone to freezer no problem, but I can't stand to actually kill it.

OMG unbelievable!!!! I talked to her tonight and she agreed to let me put her down!!! At first she said NO!!!!! Then I gently explained how I think she is in pain and her quality of life is nil and probably always will be. Then she said "you are right"!!! I could have fainted!
th.gif
I will go get the baby tomorrow. OMG I dread this.
hit.gif
I have NEVER killed anything in my life. I have cleaned deer and fish and squirrels and turtles........I know I could process chickens and turkeys and ducks...but AFTER they are dead. I have never taken a life. I am the one who babies and pampers and protects.
hit.gif
This is going to sound pathetic and wimpy.....I am scared.

You and your mom are both good people. I know it will be hard, but it is for the best - you're doing it FOR the chick more than TO the chick. Be quick and decisive of action.

I understand you are afraid...but IMO it is the RIGHT thing to do. You are a protector - you are protecting it from even more prolonged suffering. I wish I could do it for you (not that I'd be any better at it).

Thanks guys. I knew this was a possibility when I started getting chickens...and I even hatch them which is just flirting with danger. So I shouldn't be too surprised. I know I can do this for the baby. I am almost afraid if I didn't she WOULD survive and grow up....it would be an awful life for her.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom