Baby peachicks!!!!!

Eps32

Songster
Dec 22, 2015
North Carolina
Got four eggs shipped from a friend in Nebraska to North Carolina. And I'm happy to say 100 percent hatch rate. First time ever hatching peachicks. There India blue.

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    591.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    507.4 KB · Views: 16
Got four eggs shipped from a friend in Nebraska to North Carolina. And I'm happy to say 100 percent hatch rate. First time ever hatching peachicks. There India blue.
Awesome, with shipped eggs too!!! I had 100% hatch on the few hatches I have done too, but I was Insinuated to be a Liar on here---But I Know It Can Be done--because I done it!!! Congratulation!!!!

Last edited:
Why would someone lie about that lol. But ya I had 100 percent hatch rate on shipped eggs. Let people believe what they want. Congrats on your hatch rates as well!!

The thing is you never know what you'll end up with as a hatch percentage. This time it might be 100 next time you might not get any. It's the gambling aspect that people usually caution against. It's pretty discouraging when you pay an arm and a leg for eggs and then nothing makes it. Plus some people do it to be cheap (not saying you did this) which is getting off on the wrong foot with peafowl.

The thing is you never know what you'll end up with as a hatch percentage. This time it might be 100 next time you might not get any. It's the gambling aspect that people usually caution against. It's pretty discouraging when you pay an arm and a leg for eggs and then nothing makes it. Plus some people do it to be cheap (not saying you did this) which is getting off on the wrong foot with peafowl.
This is true---I have never ordered ANY eggs, as far as the peachick eggs they are from a local guy. With them or any eggs---just to make it clear---My hatch percentage is figured on good fertile eggs that go into lock-down----not hatch percentage of the Flock. My Incubator and no one else's can hatch non-fertile eggs. So if I get a dozen peachick eggs and at lock down two are clear---I put 10 into lock down---if 5 hatch I get a 50% hatch rate for my incubator, if all 10 hatch I get 100% hatch rate for the incubator/hatcher which has been the case with the few peachick eggs I have hatched. If all were clear---I would Not put any in lock down to hatch so there would not be a hatch percentage because they all were duds----which has been the case a few times from chicken eggs from the Auction. Wanted to make that Clear. Again Hatch % for me is figured on what goes in at lock-down to hatch.

This is true---I have never ordered ANY eggs, as far as the peachick eggs they are from a local guy. With them or any eggs---just to make it clear---My hatch percentage is figured on good fertile eggs that go into lock-down----not hatch percentage of the Flock. My Incubator and no one else's can hatch non-fertile eggs. So if I get a dozen peachick eggs and at lock down two are clear---I put 10 into lock down---if 5 hatch I get a 50% hatch rate for my incubator, if all 10 hatch I get 100% hatch rate for the incubator/hatcher which has been the case with the few peachick eggs I have hatched. If all were clear---I would Not put any in lock down to hatch so there would not be a hatch percentage because they all were duds----which has been the case a few times from chicken eggs from the Auction. Wanted to make that Clear. Again Hatch % for me is figured on what goes in at lock-down to hatch.
That's a very interesting way to calculate hatch rate. It's fantastic that you got a good hatch, but it's good you explain your calculations. There are so many things that can happen between fertilization & lock-down. If u take an egg from a pen known to have excellent fertility and shake it vigorously (as sometimes happens in shipping), it will not develop no matter how fertile the hen & rooster & their egg are. Then temp changes, bator issues, age of eggs, etc should all be factored in. I think those eggs should all be calculated in to shipped egg hatch rate, IMHO. It seems pea eggs are especially sensitive to shipping bc of their size & damage that may occur inside the egg. Congrats on a great hatch, but it's a little misleading to only calculate the 3 days between lock down to hatch. I am by no means calling anyone a liar, just suggesting that some of us calculate hatch percentages differently. Jus sayin. :oops:

I think those eggs should all be calculated in to shipped egg hatch rate, IMHO.
And I agree---Hatch rate of shipped eggs, hatch rate of layed eggs, hatch rate of eggs put in the incubator and hatch rate of eggs put into Lock-down/hatcher.
I have Always said my % is with eggs put into lock-down/hatcher!, Things like 236 eggs went into lock-down and 233 hatch, 100 eggs in lock-down and 100 hatch. Sure a bad incubator known to have temp spikes can kill all the eggs(but I would not use one like that a second time until it was fixed if possible), but then at lock down---no eggs would go into lock down in most cases. If I set one of my cabinet incubator full---288 eggs---and all 288 eggs came from a farm say----on day 12 or day 18 when I go into lock-down(chicken eggs) I candle and all eggs are not fertile, then None go into lock down----If all the eggs that went in were counted----Makes My Incubator look like its not worth burning. No incubator will hatch unfertile eggs so I feel they should not be included in the Hatch rate Of the Hatcher/Incubator. Yes they can and should be included in the hatch rate of the layed eggs from your flock or shipped eggs, etc!

I just calculate hatch rate/percentage by comparing how many eggs that were set end up hatching. Ex. I put 10 eggs in the incubator and 6 end up hatching.

That is the normal way people report their hatch rates and is a much more honest way of tracking your hatching progress. @AugeredIn is part of a nationwide study tracking every egg from lay to hatch on spreadsheets. He set me up with a good tracking report form and when he told me I had to count broken perch bombs I almost cried because it makes the actual averages lower.

Everybody likes to brag and make themselves feel better with high percentage results, I know I do, but to skew the results is disingenuous at best.

Back
Top Bottom